PDA

View Full Version : looking for a spray high gloss finish

myshop1044
07-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I have tried 2 kinds of high gloss spray finish and they look good while they are wet, but when they are dry the gloss goes away. I have sprayed over natural wood, stains, tung oil,
hand rub poly. It still doesn't give me the real high gloss look.
Does any body have any tips on a glosses finish, spray or brush on?
I have used Krylon clear gloss and Valspar gloss.

Perry

quarrydesigns
07-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Mohawk precat lacquer... Comes in a variety of sheens and can also be custom color tinted.

I have also used Rustoleum gloss clear enamel, you have to apply several coats with ultra fine (600 +) sanding between to get a good sheen.

Daniel Smith
Quarry Designs Wood Working
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

gregsolano
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
I use spray lacquer , I have used both Rustoleum and Velspar hi gloss lacquer. They do need 2 to 3 coats but works great for me.

FDdragon
07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I have also used spray clear gloss and it takes a few coats for it to really shine. The best I have gotten was using a brush on poly with 2 coats.
The spray is easier but would take more coats and sometimes the wood likes to absorb the paint.
The poly is good and requires less coats but it more difficult to work with and more room for error, plus it takes a while to dry so you have to be careful with dusty environments. But i think the brush on poly has a better looking finish!

Hope this helps.

eelamb
07-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Perry any of the high gloss will do the trick for you, but as everyone is saying you have to have many coats. To get the high gloss (finger nail mirror test) you need to have 5 coats for flat smooth surfaces. And as stated between the coats you need to sand using 500 to 600 grit paper. Now for carved surfaces, sand as good as you can between coats, and after 3 coats a buff will bring out the gloss. I use the Beall buff system to bring out the gloss. For some surfaces you do not need to do a finish at all, just buff. If you use a finish be careful not to press too hard or you will burn your finish coat.
Or use the same compounds and buff by hand, it works good too.
Here is a video of the system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUnql9eYV5A