PDA

View Full Version : Tapering and cutting objects

FDdragon
07-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and to the Carvewright. I am try to design a logo that has a lot of tapering but am having trouble figuring out how to do it in the Carvewright software.

For example, if I wanted to design a raindrop and have the bottom end thicker than the point of the raindrop....and have the edges of the raindrop curved to make it look 3D. how do i do it? I know this is possible but I have tried the tutorials but am not understanding it.

Also, I can not merge or clip objects from another. I did a simple trial and drew two boxes overlapping and tried to crop/clip/cut one from the other....but nothing. Do i need to group the items first? or set some parameter before I try to cut?

Thank you all and I hope to figure this out.

dltccf
07-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and to the Carvewright. I am try to design a logo that has a lot of tapering but am having trouble figuring out how to do it in the Carvewright software.

For example, if I wanted to design a raindrop and have the bottom end thicker than the point of the raindrop....and have the edges of the raindrop curved to make it look 3D. how do i do it? I know this is possible but I have tried the tutorials but am not understanding it.

Also, I can not merge or clip objects from another. I did a simple trial and drew two boxes overlapping and tried to crop/clip/cut one from the other....but nothing. Do i need to group the items first? or set some parameter before I try to cut?

Thank you all and I hope to figure this out.

Try this from the tips and tricks from Nov 2010.
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Oct-Nov_2010.pdf

dave

eelamb
07-23-2011, 10:30 PM
It would help if you could post an image of the logo. So we may see what you are attempting on the logo.

For the other question go to the tip and tricks, there are some good articles describing what you are asking. Plus AskBud has some training videos for this too.

here is his link http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/cw-askbud%20downloads.htm

FDdragon
07-24-2011, 09:05 AM
http://www.navycs.com/gallery2/d/2889-5/Sea+Bee.jpg
This is the image I am trying to do. As you can see in the picture, its going to take a lot of tapering/curving and such. I am going to try to paint.net method and see how that works for me. Just sounds like a lot of work. Any other advice will be helpful. Thanks

eelamb
07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
If you go to my website (link on bottom center) click on shared patterns/patterns, then navagate to the shared patterns you will find this pattern. Or just search for seabee.

DickB
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I am try to design a logo that has a lot of tapering but am having trouble figuring out how to do it in the Carvewright software.
You can't really do a good job with the Carvewright Designer software alone. The optional Pattern Editor adds some capability, but you really need a drawing program or 3D modelling software.

Just sounds like a lot of work.
To do a good job, it is a lot of work, whether done in 2D or 3D. I'm amazed at the number of people who spend time creating patterns for others on this forum for free. The good patterns are not made in 5 minutes. My hat's off to them.

bjbethke
07-24-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.navycs.com/gallery2/d/2889-5/Sea+Bee.jpg
This is the image I am trying to do. As you can see in the picture, its going to take a lot of tapering/curving and such. I am going to try to paint.net method and see how that works for me. Just sounds like a lot of work. Any other advice will be helpful. Thanks

Will this one work? The Dark Black needs to be change to a light Gray and keep the dark lines, this is aprint from Shadermap. The image needs to be redrawen with a 3d program.

FDdragon
07-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you all for your help!! I will be adding on to this logo so I will be experimenting with it. Yes, it sounds like it takes a while to do a pattern and its awesome that are some people who help others by taking the time to help with the patterns. Once I get familiar with designing I will be more than happy to help as well.

eelamb
07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
After looking at the old seabee patern I made, today between working outside I started to create a new one. It is now on my site under the shared section.

Pattern is too large to post here.

mtylerfl
07-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Thank you all for your help!! I will be adding on to this logo so I will be experimenting with it. Yes, it sounds like it takes a while to do a pattern and its awesome that are some people who help others by taking the time to help with the patterns. Once I get familiar with designing I will be more than happy to help as well.

Hi FDdragon,

This is an example of what can be accomplished when using software designed specifically for creating 2˝D relief models for CNC carving. The Sea Bee pictured below was created by a friend of mine who uses the Vectric Aspire software (I also use the Aspire software myself for creating patterns). As I recall, he told me he spent about 4 hours creating the Sea Bee.

If you plan on creating a lot of high-quality patterns, the Aspire software does a great job. You can save your models as greyscale heightmaps that you can directly import into the CarveWright software and/or Pattern Editor...or, you can export your models as STL files and convert them into CarveWright PTN files via CarveWright's STL Importer add-on. (Both methods work, but I have a slight preference towards the STL method.)

eelamb
07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
FDdragon, as MT stated that is what one program can accomplish. There are many programs out there at 1/3 the cost and professionals of those software packages can produce the same results. All of the software packages out there have a large learning curve. It is not an out of the box, and you are making great patterns. Each of the software packages out there allow you to use their demo version for 30 days.
Software packages to name a few are:
artcam
aspire
lightwave
Zbrush
Mudbox
Maya
Rhino
Moi
Silo

and I am sure I have missed a few. Paying more for the software does not mean you will get better patterns, it is your ability to make the patterns that determine the quality of the pattern. I have used the demo's of most and have settled for 2 I already own Silo, and Moi, and using sculptris (free verion) for sculpting. I am hoping to buy ZBrush soon. Just because I am using these software does not mean it is what you should buy. Look into the demos to see if this is what you really want to do. But remember there is a large learning curve.

FDdragon
07-24-2011, 08:13 PM
After looking at the old seabee patern I made, today between working outside I started to create a new one. It is now on my site under the shared section.

Pattern is too large to post here.

Thank you. Im actually planning on adding as much detail as i can so i can see each arm, tool, is detail. Yours look great but I want to show the different ranks on each arm and such. Thanks again and i really appreciate all your help.

FDdragon
07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi FDdragon,

This is an example of what can be accomplished when using software designed specifically for creating 2˝D relief models for CNC carving. The Sea Bee pictured below was created by a friend of mine who uses the Vectric Aspire software (I also use the Aspire software myself for creating patterns). As I recall, he told me he spent about 4 hours creating the Sea Bee.

If you plan on creating a lot of high-quality patterns, the Aspire software does a great job. You can save your models as greyscale heightmaps that you can directly import into the CarveWright software and/or Pattern Editor...or, you can export your models as STL files and convert them into CarveWright PTN files via CarveWright's STL Importer add-on. (Both methods work, but I have a slight preference towards the STL method.)l

Wow, your design looks great!! That is almost what I am looking for. Well, actually it is but the logo is a different version of the style I am looking for. How long did it take you to do it? I am pretty good with Corel type software so I am confident I will get the hang of it, its just that Carvewright is different.

FDdragon
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you, i will look into trying the trial versions and see which one works best for me. I love designing on the computer so I know I will enjoy spending the time to work with different programs. I just got the Carvewright a few days ago and am excited to try engraving. LOL

mtylerfl
07-24-2011, 08:52 PM
l

Wow, your design looks great!! That is almost what I am looking for. Well, actually it is but the logo is a different version of the style I am looking for. How long did it take you to do it? I am pretty good with Corel type software so I am confident I will get the hang of it, its just that Carvewright is different.

Hi FD,

Thanks. That is one of the several iterations of the logo floating around out there. I did not do that model myself...a friend of mine named Viktor did it (he is originally from Hungary but now resides near Atlanta, Georgia). I think he said it took about 4 hours using the Aspire software. He's been using Aspire for about two years and has become quite good at it. Here's a couple screenshots from Aspire of another model he's been working on and I think is turning out very nicely!

eelamb
07-24-2011, 09:39 PM
FD I agree with you on details, and they can be added even by myself, just takes time for designing. As mentioned look at the various software trial version and make your decision from that, each has the ability to create the details, it is up to the designers ability to make great patterns.

It sounds like you will have the drive to accomplish the learning of 3d and 2.5D

Good luck

FDdragon
07-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone. Well I think ill be good on figuring out make 3D objects, now im still having trouble clipping objects. I tried again yesterday and it worked when i had two patterns overlapping. but not with two new squares that i had just drawn.

Is the Carvewright software not able to clip simple objects.....i mean like creating squares or circles and then clipping? Does it have to be a pattern already before you can clip?

bjbethke
07-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone. Well I think ill be good on figuring out make 3D objects, now im still having trouble clipping objects. I tried again yesterday and it worked when i had two patterns overlapping. but not with two new squares that i had just drawn.

Is the Carvewright software not able to clip simple objects.....i mean like creating squares or circles and then clipping? Does it have to be a pattern already before you can clip?

Not sure what you mean by Clip! If you are talking about making an Outline then you need to add a carve region to each item and "Select All" then “Outline”, it is also good to group the items so you can move and resize the project. In the Group function you can also make a PTN of the project.

bjbethke
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I redid the drawing of the SeaBee in AI and balanced out the Black. I also made a MPC with the ai2mpc program.

eelamb
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I also redid the Sea Bee model.

Course I di plan to do some more work on this one. The maching gun needs more work and I saw a few other places once imported into designer.

BJB you do good work!

Capt Bruce
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm another one also working on a SEABEE pattern that would have greater depth when used on a plaque or surface. Still working on this one when I have time to do gray scale touch up on my original design. It looks like I too am trying to balance the amount of detail the 1/16" carving bit is capable of reproducing without making the finished logo too difficult to carve. Don't know that I'll ever be able to detail the rating devices on the sleeves but at least the stilson wrench and the hammer get cleaner with each version

A pair of recent commissions

Detail of an 11 1/4" square plaque

I really admire the work you are all performing on this logo. True CAN DO spirit Gents.

jaroot
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Nice job Capt Bruce! They turned out really well.

mtylerfl
07-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Those are excellent, Capt! Very nice, indeed!

b.sumner47
07-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Very Nice, ,I like the stain, Chestnut ? Fair Tides. Capt Barry

eelamb
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Spent another hour (3 total) and fixed a few areas. More could be done.

Capt Bruce
07-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Thank you kindly Gents,
Still a work in progress as they say but it's perhaps starting to look better like all those I see in this thread. The question on stain and finish . . Minwax Red Oak wiped on and then right off of the clear pine. Three coats of spray lacquer and wax after final light sanding. Your SEABEE brothers appreciate the time spent perfecting the designs I'm sure.