PDA

View Full Version : Grove cut problem

awe
07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I've been cutting some grove and every time I make some multiple grove with max pass depth, it dis-align the x axis. I've read about stair step cutting problem and I check the pressure the belt and they turn okay and at this cut I've use stay under the roller.

quarrydesigns
07-21-2011, 10:21 AM
The picture shows obvious slipping on the x.. are you using masking tape for the roller wheel to track on and have you checked you head pressure? Those are most common causes of x slip..

Daniel Smith
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com

AskBud
07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been cutting some grove and every time I make some multiple grove with max pass depth, it dis-align the x axis. I've read about stair step cutting problem and I check the pressure the belt and they turn okay and at this cut I've use stay under the roller.
Your design seems OK.
I suspect the sled may need some tape on the bottom, on the Brass Roller side. That tape will need to be replaced after a project or two, just to make sure it has good contact with the brass.
You may also need extra support rollers for your thick/heavy project, to keep it for lifting off the Brass Roller as if moves from back and forth.

Here are a few thoughts from an earlier post:
TAPE:
Tape is a help-mate. It is used to assist some sensors do their job. It can, also, be used to assist the sand paper belts in movement of "slick/hard" material.

1) Tape on the bottom of the board, between the Brass Roller and the wood allows the roller to get a better grip on hard or slightly imperfect stock.
2) On slick/hard/shiny stock, it is sometime necessary to place several strips of tape the length of the board to assist the sandpaper belts.
AskBud

cnsranch
07-21-2011, 10:48 AM
And make sure the rubber o-ring on the tracking roller isn't missing, or cracked, etc. They dry out (or just wear out), crack, and need to be replaced occasionally (at least mine does).

awe
07-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the tips I will try it and do you have any recommendation for what kind of tape to use?

AskBud
07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the tips I will try it and do you have any recommendation for what kind of tape to use?
Good old one inch masking tape!
AskBud

jaroot
07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah, just don't get too cheap on it. I found a "deal" on some 3/4" tape and thought that it would be perfect. Probably would be too except I can't get a piece bigger than about 4" to come off the roll without tearing.

Good old one inch masking tape!
AskBud

fwharris
07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, just don't get too cheap on it. I found a "deal" on some 3/4" tape and thought that it would be perfect. Probably would be too except I can't get a piece bigger than about 4" to come off the roll without tearing.

Jim,

Same here!