PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a band logo 3d

ibewiggin
07-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Pretty self explanatory, I am looking to make this flat design more three demensional. I have messed with it, but have not been too happy with it. I was hoping that one of you guys would do a better job than I was able. Thanks

dltccf
07-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Pretty self explanatory, I am looking to make this flat design more three demensional. I have messed with it, but have not been too happy with it. I was hoping that one of you guys would do a better job than I was able. Thanks

I know some guys on here are great at the whole process of turning pictures and logos and such into great patterns, I see scattered references to various other graphics programs that they use to accomplish it, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial that covers the whole process. Is there anyone in here that could, or maybe as a group project of those who have gotten this process down, create a good step by step of what it takes to turn a graphic into a decent pattern? If it already exists and I just missed it, could someone point me to it? A version of how to do it both with and without the pattern editor would be even better.

cnsranch
07-20-2011, 08:58 AM
This should carve pretty well - just done with PE...

DickB
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I know some guys on here are great at the whole process of turning pictures and logos and such into great patterns, I see scattered references to various other graphics programs that they use to accomplish it, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial that covers the whole process. Is there anyone in here that could, or maybe as a group project of those who have gotten this process down, create a good step by step of what it takes to turn a graphic into a decent pattern? If it already exists and I just missed it, could someone point me to it? A version of how to do it both with and without the pattern editor would be even better.
I can do some things, particularly with logos, using a 2D drawing program and working with shades of gray to get depth. Problem is, there is no one technique or series of steps that will work for all logos. For example, to get the pitchforks in your logo to truly have one on top of the other requires a particular technique, different from making the skull appear 3D. I did write a tutorial and it was published as the Issue 33 Tips and Tricks. It is a start, but by no means comprehensive.

The best results are obtained by creating a true 3D model, and that takes quite a bit of learning and skill IMHO.

www.carvenow.com
07-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Please check your private message. I'm offering my custom 3d pattern service at an affordable price.
Thanks,

jpaluck
07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Here you go..just finished this HT when I saw your post

dltccf - As far as making patterns 3d is the way to go for the best results, but the learning curve is there. As far as turning a picture into a pattern thats difficult because and image has pixels and no z axis. I use images all the time as reference but only for reference for the most part. Zbrush has this cool new feature called "spotlight" where you can take an image and overlay over your model and sculpt in the details from the photo...but it would not generate a model itself..have to have the basic shapes underneath it. As far as tutorials for how to make patterns like what was already said there are many ways to go about it. In 3D modeling there are many correct ways to acheive the outcome. There is a TON of info on the net. IMO it's a little harder to model to 2.5D vs 3d..least for me it is. There is very little info on how to model in 2.5D. I signed up for digital tutors..love it and have learned a ton on there.

This model was made in about 30 min in MOI and exported out as an .stl. From here you can export out as an obj and bring into zbrush to add some more details like cracks in the skull etc.

Link to the pattern:
http://www.carvemore.com/fp_325629/skull.zip

eelamb
07-20-2011, 09:02 PM
John nice pattern, was also thinking of doing that one in MoI. Would not have been as good as yours thou.

ibewiggin
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks, I knew you guys could help! John, that is almost exactly what iwas trying to do. And thanks everyone for the help and advice.

jpaluck
07-21-2011, 10:16 AM
No problem...I played in a band for 9 years when I was younger..actually got a record out on an independent label..thrash metal..back in the mid 80's...was a blast and got open for some of the bigger thrash metal bands at the time...I wish I had the graphics programs etc back then...could have had blast making band logo's etc

jpaluck
07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Had some free time today so started playing with the skull in zbrush..too lazy to covert it so here is the depthmap

ibewiggin
07-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Oh, wow. I just looked back at this. Cool. So you used zbrush for the cracks, what did you use for the original transfer I.to 3d? How much does that program cost?

jpaluck
07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
First program was MOI3d

eelamb
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
John very nice work, Moi3D is great, love that program. Some day I may get as good as you. Then again, your creative thinking is a lot better, so I may never get that good.

jpaluck
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Eddie..LOL..yeah right you been turning out some nice stuff my friend

eelamb
07-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks John