PDA

View Full Version : Actual Board Dimensions vs Layout in the Designer Software

mtylerfl
01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Hello,

Maybe some of you more experienced users can clear this up for me...

I created a simple sign layout in Designer on the "virtual board" measuring 30" x 9.25". I also cut a "real" board to those same dimensions for my project. The actual design to be carved is about 22.5" long. I added the extra length to the "virtual board" so I could use the "keep under rollers" setting on the machine.

I loaded my board into the machine, it measured the board, etc., then I had two choices presented to me..."Scale to Length" or "Load New Board". Seems the machine thought my board dimensions were somehow incorrect for the "under rollers" option which had I selected.

I didn't want any scaling, and I didn't need a new board since the board was plenty long enough, so I aborted the project.

I went back to my computer and reduced the "virtual board" dimensions to 23.5" x 9.25". (Again, my "actual" board is 30" long - plenty of end space for the rollers.)

Went back to the machine and still had the same choices presented..."Scale to Length" or "Load New Board".

I guess I don't understand the relationship between the software's board dimensions and the actual board dimensions. I know that I need an extra 3.5" on each end to keep the project under the rollers, which I allowed for in the layout.

What is the proper procedure when setting the virtual board dimensions in the Designer software for the machine to recognize that my "real" board is adequately/properly sized? I have attached the .mpc file for the sign project I'm referring to.

Thanks for any advice.

pkunk
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
2 things- did you reload the project onto the card after you reduced the boards size?(you didn't say) & what you could have done is just choose not to stay under rollers as long as you knew you had sufficient length. If the project does not stay under the rollers it will still carve, but if the board is too short you will get snipe.

Jeff_Birt
01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
To stay under the rollers you need an extra 3.5" on each end of your 'virtual board'. If you laid out your board in Designer to be 23.5" you need to add 7" to that, so you would neeed stock that is 30.5" long. As pkunk says if you design is centerd on the board and is more than 3.5" away from either edge you can opt to not stay under the rollers and be OK, as the stock will never travel out from under the rollers anyhow.

mtylerfl
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your responses.

Pkunk, yes, I did reload the card after I reduced the project board dimensions. I chose to stay under rollers because I figured the carving accuracy would be better if I chose that option.

Jeff, yes, I did add the 3.5" at each end -virtual board was 30" and actual board was 30", carving area of project itself was only 22.5". When I got the "error" I went back to the software and changed the virtual board dimensions to basically just a bit over the size of the carving area. The "real" board was still 30" long.

Still don't know whether to make my "virtual board" in the Designer software the same dimensions as my "actual" board, or if that matters at all.

mtylerfl
01-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi Kurtsara,

Thanks for your response.

Yep, that's what I did the second time around, yet the machine still displayed the "Scale to Length" and/or "Load New Board" choices. It's a mystery.

Anyhow, I had more serious issues with the machine and it is now on its way back to CarveWright in Texas for repairs (false "Close Cover" messages, Z-axis errors, and false "Possible Board Removal" messages.

Fedex picked it up today and I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip about the situation. (I only got to use it for 15 minutes before it started giving all the error messages and wouldn't carve anymore.)

Looking forward to getting the machine back (in perfect running order) so I can have some fun with it!

mtylerfl
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Kurtsara,

Thanks for your response.

Yep, that's what I did the second time around, yet the machine still displayed the "Scale to Length" and/or "Load New Board" choices. It's a mystery.

Anyhow, I had more serious issues with the machine and it is now on its way back to CarveWright in Texas for repairs (false "Close Cover" messages, Z-axis errors, and false "Possible Board Removal" messages.

Fedex picked it up today and I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip about the situation. (I only got to use it for 15 minutes before it started giving all the error messages and wouldn't carve anymore.)

Looking forward to getting the machine back (in perfect running order) so I can have some fun with it!

Aaron B
01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I was told the virtual board need to be the actual length, then when you cut the real board make it 7" longer.

Then when you answer "stay under rollers" the machine will add 7" to your virtual board automatically, is that the way it is?

pkunk
01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I was told the virtual board need to be the actual length, then when you cut the real board make it 7" longer.

Then when you answer "stay under rollers" the machine will add 7" to your virtual board automatically, is that the way it is?
You got it!