PDA

View Full Version : traction belt failed after only 2 hours of use

dltccf
07-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I got my new machine over the weekend and after 3 days and 3 carves totaling 2 hours and 26 minutes the traction belt tore and the machine shows error 49-320. I assume this isn't normal? Should this be covered under warranty? Do they ship a new one and you put it in, or do they want you to ship it back for warranty work?

I measured the head pressure and it is not low.

chebytrk
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Might be able to help out if you show us the mpc you were carving and more specifics on how it happened. It might have been any number of things that caused it. Don't know how it'll be taken care of, but they're pretty easy to replace yourself. I personally purchased the rubber belts and did that myself. It was fairly easy and been working great for me.

jaroot
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I believe the sand paper belts are considered to be a consumable so probably not covered by warranty. Most of the causes that I've seen on the forums have been from snagging on a sliver on the board but just guessing.

mtylerfl
07-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I got my new machine over the weekend and after 3 days and 3 carves totaling 2 hours and 26 minutes the traction belt tore and the machine shows error 49-320. I assume this isn't normal? Should this be covered under warranty? Do they ship a new one and you put it in, or do they want you to ship it back for warranty work?

I measured the head pressure and it is not low.

Hello,

I'm sorry you had the problem. This is normally easily avoided. Just looking at the photo, it's clear that the belt did not get torn like that "all by itself". Something went amiss during the project run, but it was not due to any direct problem with the belt. I imagine you will likely need to purchase a belt replacement set.

There can be a variety of possible causes. Since we don't have a complete blow-by-blow of what actually took place, here's a list of possibilities. Let us know which of these may apply...

1) the board got wedged (sliding plate too tight)

2) the board didn't have parallel edges (causing a wedge)

3) the head is not level (needs adjustment and/or lube)

4) there was a splinter underneath the board ("snagged" the belt)

5) the board was too long and/or heavy (and outfeed support was not provided)

6) the board mis-tracked due to a divot or dent where the brass tracking roller rides along the edge

7) check your X-drive gears...if the board wedged severely this time or anytime prior, it could have cracked a tooth of a gear and it finally gave-way during this project

8 - the board was not flat (warped, cupped, or twisted)

9) the board was too short and left the pressure rollers during the project (board tipped and caused mistracking and/or "digging" into the belt)

10) the board edges were "sharp" and snagged the belt (I run a swipe or two of 220-grit sandpaper along all the edges and on the corners to "blunt" them a little before placing the board into the machine)

11) might be more possible causes I forgot to mention...but those are the most likely ones listed above

If you haven't already, it may be helpful to read the following Tips & Tricks article to avoid this type of problem in the future:
ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf)

Let us know if we can be of any further help.

liquidguitars
07-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Changing a belt is quick job that one can do at home... adding to MT's notes if you have any screw or nail heads sticking out below the board that will tear a belt or two I got into the habit of wiping down the bottom of the board with my hand to make sure before a run.

also if a sharp bit or odd object like a screw drops between the rollers and under the table this could make issues like your having.

I recently pick up a old/new stock machine off eBay that had a odd piece of plastic under the table rubbing up against the belt, unless you had removed the belts you would never know.

dltccf
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Might be able to help out if you show us the mpc you were carving and more specifics on how it happened. It might have been any number of things that caused it. Don't know how it'll be taken care of, but they're pretty easy to replace yourself. I personally purchased the rubber belts and did that myself. It was fairly easy and been working great for me.

Here is the file for the carving, its nothing special: just a picture of a dragon I got from this forum and some chinese letter that a friend asked for on a 5.5 X 16 inch pine board. The board I placed in the machine was 23 inches so there should have been room on both ends. Everything carved fine until the very end when it was carving the square around the outside of the picture. It went all the way around and then missed meeting up at the last corner by about 1/8 of an inch. That is when I noticed the tear.

I called the support number, but the office was closed. I will have to try back in the morning.

dltccf
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM

So I went and looked at the store. Are the rubber belts 6 times better than the sandpaper ones? Do the last 6 times as long and are 6 times a resistant to the dangers of splinters and sharp ends and such as the standard type? I'm trying to weigh whether I would be better off getting the rubber ones or 6 of the standard and having plenty of replacements.

jaroot
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I've looked at the rubber belts and will probably eventually get them but I've got nearly 200 hrs on my original sand paper belts so I'm not sure if it the addition cost is worth it. But I seem to be having a pretty good streak with my very early machine so who knows for sure.

So I went and looked at the store. Are the rubber belts 6 times better than the sandpaper ones? Do the last 6 times as long and are 6 times a resistant to the dangers of splinters and sharp ends and such as the standard type? I'm trying to weigh whether I would be better off getting the rubber ones or 6 of the standard and having plenty of replacements.

liquidguitars
07-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Rubber are almost indestructible I had a screw head stick under the board and it did a little damage but it works fine, if it was the sandpaper belt i would be replacing them under this type of scenario.

gregsolano
07-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I broke a belt and bought the rubber ones and I do have way less tracking errors and I really like them. Cant say they wont take bit or splinter tear. Maybe someone else has had experience with that.

dltccf
07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
I broke a belt and bought the rubber ones and I do have way less tracking errors and I really like them. Cant say they wont take bit or splinter tear. Maybe someone else has had experience with that.

Ok, now for another question about the rubber belts: I see in the store that you need to purchase the 3/8" straight bit in order align the rubber belts after installation. Any idea why this bit instead of the bits we already have? Also, if you have purchased this bit what carves would you typically use it for? Is it useful, or are they just trying to move a bit that doesn't sell well?

jaroot
07-19-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't have the rubber belts but I do use the 3/8" bit for cutting recesses in the back of picture frames. Much faster than doing a "carve" to accomplish the same thing.

Ok, now for another question about the rubber belts: I see in the store that you need to purchase the 3/8" straight bit in order align the rubber belts after installation. Any idea why this bit instead of the bits we already have? Also, if you have purchased this bit what carves would you typically use it for? Is it useful, or are they just trying to move a bit that doesn't sell well?

gregsolano
07-19-2011, 08:08 AM
I did not notice that you were supposed to buy 3/8 bit and I never did, I don't even remember anything like that in directions?

lynnfrwd
07-19-2011, 10:11 AM
At one time, the 3/8" straight bit was required to complete calibration, but no more. I checked with engineering to make certain and removed it from the product description of the Heavy Duty Traction Belts.

The 3/8" Straight Bit is NO LONGER required.

dltccf: You ordered the HD belts even before I posted.

mtylerfl
07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
At one time, the 3/8" straight bit was required to complete calibration, but no more. I checked with engineering to make certain and removed it from the product description of the Heavy Duty Traction Belts.

Right - the latest procedure for calibrating a machine is in the Jan-Feb 2010 Tips & Tricks on pages 5 and 6. No bit required.
Here's the link to that Tips issue:
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan_Feb10.pdf

dltccf
07-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I did not notice that you were supposed to buy 3/8 bit and I never did, I don't even remember anything like that in directions?

I just got off the phone with support. The 3/8 inch bit is no longer required to calibrate the rubber traction belts. They just haven't updated the website to say that.

Interesting to note while looking at the bits in the store that the 3/8 inch straight is the 4th bestseller right below the full set and the v bits.

I went ahead and ordered the rubber replacements, the tech support guy highly recommended them. He claimed they have never had one tear after 3 years.

dltccf
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM

dltccf: You ordered the HD belts even before I posted.

looks like we were posting and ordering and answering at the same time. :-)

Digitalwoodshop
07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I wish I had caught this earlier... I would have ordered the X Gear Assembly with the belts to have it on hand... I bet your X Gear is already broken.... It would have saved you shipping on the gear.

AL

Rick P
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Some Sears stores carry the sandpaper belts. I got a set from Sears.

lynnfrwd
07-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I wish I had caught this earlier... I would have ordered the X Gear Assembly with the belts to have it on hand... I bet your X Gear is already broken.... It would have saved you shipping on the gear.

AL

Not too late, dltccf. If you are, call soon!

dltccf
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Not too late, dltccf. If you are, call soon!

Thanks for catching that. I'm on the phone with Alex now. The page on the website on how to check the X gear assembly is broken so he is sending me the PDF. He wants me to check it and if it is broken to call back so it can be included in the belt shipment under warranty. I will have to check when I get home and hopefully be able to call back before you close for the night.

cnsranch
07-19-2011, 02:47 PM
X gear's only about $8 - the only thing I've broken is that - save the $12 and order it anyway.

dltccf
07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
X gear's only about $8 - the only thing I've broken is that - save the $12 and order it anyway.

I asked him if he would just include it in the shipment since it is covered by warranty and less than the shipping cost, but he wants me to confirm its broken before shipping so he is holding up the belts order and will ship both in one order if necessary.

Digitalwoodshop
07-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Even I need to order some X Gears... I have one broken now and used my last spare... plus stole one from a machine... Will steal another in the morning.... Need 4 now with a spare.... Checking Account is looking a little thin this week so Cannibalizing another machine is a old Navy Tradition.... LOL... Got another 4 signs to cut... Not sure why it broke.... Still looking.... It was used and could have been cracked...

My list is growng... 4 gears and 2 FSC Cables.....

AL

dltccf
07-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I asked him if he would just include it in the shipment since it is covered by warranty and less than the shipping cost, but he wants me to confirm its broken before shipping so he is holding up the belts order and will ship both in one order if necessary.

Well I got home and took the machine apart and the gear does not appear to be broken so I called and hopefully the new belts are on their way. Thanks to all.

ibewiggin
07-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I had gone through the whole scenario before. The x gears are sometimes really hard to tell if they are bad. One tooth on the back side just barely rounded will mess you up. Good luck.

dltccf
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I had gone through the whole scenario before. The x gears are sometimes really hard to tell if they are bad. One tooth on the back side just barely rounded will mess you up. Good luck.

Interesting, I was on the phone with the tech while looking at it and he told me that if it was broke it would be obvious. I did spin it all the way around with my finger and ran my other finger over the teeth. So hopefully it will either be fine or show itself before the warranty runs out.

dltccf
07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
follow up to the belt story...

The new rubber belts finally arrived after a week of serious withdrawal symptoms from not being able to use the new machine. I have installed them and did the length test and it appears to measure the same length as I measure by hand. Oh, and there were no extra parts left over when it was all back together. Its too late to start one of the several carvings I put together during my week of waiting, so I will have to wait until getting home from work tomorrow to try it out.

mtylerfl
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
follow up to the belt story...

The new rubber belts finally arrived after a week of serious withdrawal symptoms from not being able to use the new machine. I have installed them and did the length test and it appears to measure the same length as I measure by hand. Oh, and there were no extra parts left over when it was all back together. Its too late to start one of the several carvings I put together during my week of waiting, so I will have to wait until getting home from work tomorrow to try it out.

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to know you're about ready to do some more carving. All the best to you! Holler if you need help with anything. Everyone here is more than willing to offer a helping hand, if ever needed. This is just about the best user forum around!

cnsranch
07-27-2011, 09:55 AM
This is just about the best user forum around!

"Just about"?

I know, I know, you're just being modest.

Icutone2
07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I got mine from woodworker supply.
15-13ZA120Y Zirconia Alumina W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Wet/Dry Blue Color
2 $ 6.76 $ 13.52 15-13SC120Y Silicon Carbide W-15" x L-13" Grit-120 Wet/Dry Black Color
2 $ 4.80 $ 9.60