PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Everything, for one price

DurhamDev
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
You sell the CW, and it comes with the Designer software, which is a marvel. Then, you sell the various add-ons to enhance the functionality of the system. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE all of the add-ons. What I would love to see is a day where you could download an update for Designer where everything was included.

I purchased Centreline Text because it was a necessity to me, and because it was a pretty darn good price. (i.e. worth it to me) I only wish that the import functionality that is provided by the add-ons was included at no cost, as I cannot justify spending more money on the software, when I'm lucky enough to be able to recreate my carves inside the Designer software, itself. I know others aren't as lucky, as they might design very intricate works in another piece of software where the Designer might be a challenge to recreate them, and I wish it was easier for them to be able to use their CW with native functionality such as this.

I get the business end of this (multiple meanings detected!) and I'm sure others do as well. I would like to reach out to the Management, and respectfully request that this be considered for a future release. I'm sure that including everything as a true 'feature' rather than a 'purchasable add-on' would be a major selling feature of the CW, and would likely result in more sales over all.

Thank you for reading!

gregsolano
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Great idea for the consumer but I think LHR is developing add on software in order to generate repeat sales from existing customers. There are also costs associated with development of the software which would take much longer to recoup if they are done through hoping for increased sales through the existing product. By selling the new software as an add on the development costs can be recouped faster and you can track the correlation between sales and development costs. The add on's are still used to enhance the sales of the main product by showing all the add on's you can get and the low cost compared to other cnc software. I know I sound like I work for LHR and I don't but I do understand business economics.

DurhamDev
07-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Great idea for the consumer but I think LHR is developing add on software in order to generate repeat sales from existing customers.

I agree with you 100%. It is common in the marketplace for add-on's to be sold when they do something that is usually not a feature that you might expect to be included, however. Many (if not most) companies do provide updates to their software for free when adding functionality such as this.

There are also costs associated with development of the software which would take much longer to recoup if they are done through hoping for increased sales through the existing product. By selling the new software as an add on the development costs can be recouped faster and you can track the correlation between sales and development costs. The add on's are still used to enhance the sales of the main product by showing all the add on's you can get and the low cost compared to other cnc software.

Also, agree. I don't dispute the fact that the cost of the Designer software (FREE!) is amazing, given all of the features you DO get. I'm certainly not arguing or ranting to 'demand' such a radical change - moreover providing an opinion on how it would be beneficial to both sides - the business and the users. I certainly agree that it would be a financial issue to provide the add-ons for free, but that's really what "R and D" (Research and Development) is all about. You spend money to investigate a problem, and then build and test a solution. Sooner or later, you do 'break even', where you've made enough money to pay for the R and D you've achieved, and hopefully at that point, the add-ons are either reduced or provided at no cost to the user. Happy users = more word-of-mouth = more profits.

rcdages
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Great idea for the consumer but I think LHR is developing add on software in order to generate repeat sales from existing customers. There are also costs associated with development of the software which would take much longer to recoup if they are done through hoping for increased sales through the existing product. By selling the new software as an add on the development costs can be recouped faster and you can track the correlation between sales and development costs. The add on's are still used to enhance the sales of the main product by showing all the add on's you can get and the low cost compared to other cnc software. I know I sound like I work for LHR and I don't but I do understand business economics.

Greg,

I feel your on track with what you stated and I do want to see LHR around for a LONG, LONG time. No matter what anyone things of the way things are sold it is about income to stay alive and for more R&D. Besides that look at what a wonderful machine that LHR has devloped at a price one can afford.

I thank God that Carolyn made sure I got the CarveWright.

It has become an even bigger part of mylife in these passed months then before.

In General I want to thank LHR and all of you for the support and help when ever I have reached out for it.

All of you have enriched my life.

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2011, 03:02 PM
This machine is marketed to the "Hobby User" with limited knowledge of CNC and a slight fear of having to pay $1K plus for software as required for other Industrial Machines. This lets a Hobby User make the investment and learn as they go. Buy the Software Packages as needed.

I am a very happy Hobby User that has never Scanned a item even though I do have the probe and software. Even seeing that the "Scary Part"... "The SOFTWARE".... can be downloaded FREE and played with even before spending a dime on the machine is a BIG PLUS for many...

So to me Bundling everything in one package, one price, would be a negative thing..... Like buying a car.... You can have any color.... as long as it is White.... And you buy the Towing and Maintenance Package at time of purchase too.

Yes, your post is really about having to pay for the additional software.... I for one am glad to see the new software in development as that shows me the company is Healthy and staying alive in this... "We Give UP"... Business Ecconomy.... Imagine if next month LHR tells us... "That's IT..." no more Designer Updates... We are letting the Programmers go.... And down sizing the company to Support only and the fee for Support is now $200.00 per Event... Parts are going up 200% and our Bangladesh Call Center is Now Open....

Be HAPPY with the GREAT DEAL and Company we have.... When I was at Sony almost 10 years ago, I found that Sony had moved it's Call Center to the Phillippines... I worked for the Philly Service Center for 4 years fixing PlayStations and DVD's. The day I started there were 27 Service Centers in the USA... When I left there were 3... Shortly after Philly closed and 99% of the repairs were done in Mexico.... You turned in your PlayStation and got a Refurbished unit from Mexico.

So "BE HAPPY" with LHR's Business Plan.... Money is Tight.... Even HERE.... Look at the Carving Contest that is having trouble getting 10 paying Clients.... It's all about the Economy.... Many don't have the money for a contest... And there are Hundreds of Daily Readers....

May LHR be a Survivor in this Downturn and live long and Prosper...

AL

DurhamDev
07-18-2011, 03:12 PM
...I wonder if I shouldn't just stop posting, as I feel so guilty right now... I certainly never meant to give the impression that I was unhappy with the present scenario, only that - if the situation ever presented itself - I would be happy to have the ability to import patterns from other software packages, as I cannot say that I could afford to spend the current cost for the software add-on at the present time. I too LOVE the fact that the software is in constant flux, and upgrades and updates abound. I certainly don't want to imagine a world where they said, "we're firing all the programmers", especially if we're attributing this to my recommendation.

I apologize if my post was offensive to anyone - it was certainly not meant as such.

gregsolano
07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;158052

May LHR be a Survivor in this Downturn and live long and Prosper...

AL[/QUOTE]

Amen to your whole post, " I have been and always shall be, your friend"

Digitalwoodshop
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
No need to feel Guilty, Variety of Opinions makes this place GREAT... Like a Debate....

I too would love to see the day when the CW could tap the resources of other Industrial Machines and Patterns....

Who would have ever thought that we would see the day when NASA would do 100% Out Sourcing of Men in Space.....

It's a changing world...

AL