PDA

View Full Version : Just finished first carve

dltccf
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Its just a simple carve with my last name and some filigree on a 1x6 pine board, but I am thrilled. Now off to try another...

badger2424
07-16-2011, 01:31 PM
dltccf, welcome to our addictive world of carving!! Any problems come up, let us help, these guys know all about it.

fwharris
07-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Great way to start out with something simple! Now take care and do not hurt your neck from all of the back and forth action watching the machine doing it's thing!

Smoken D
07-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Great going! Chew up that wood!!

jaroot
07-16-2011, 06:17 PM
The first carve is really cool isn't it. You might want to go through the tutorials and complete those projects. That will give you a great head start.

dltccf
07-17-2011, 03:29 PM
The first carve is really cool isn't it. You might want to go through the tutorials and complete those projects. That will give you a great head start.

I had been going through them while waiting for the machine to arrive but didn't actually carve them.

Capt Bruce
07-17-2011, 06:16 PM
You're being smarter than I was on my first test dltccf. I had waited 4 or 5 months using the layaway plan so I thought I was ready to carve a wedding gift right out of the chute. Not the best idea, looking back now but we've all had to start somewhere. Congratulations on that first one, and now just a few thousand more carves to come . . .

Keep us informed Sir.

dltccf
07-17-2011, 07:36 PM
You're being smarter than I was on my first test dltccf. I had waited 4 or 5 months using the layaway plan so I thought I was ready to carve a wedding gift right out of the chute. Not the best idea, looking back now but we've all had to start somewhere. Congratulations on that first one, and now just a few thousand more carves to come . . .

Keep us informed Sir.

I carved the letter opener today that was posted here recently to experiment with two sided carving. It turned out very nice out of an old scrap piece of pine. Went to see a friend who has all kinds of wood and came home with some cedar, cherry, oak, ash, poplar, and a pretty piece of sassafras. My wife who loves horses wants a letter opener with a horse on it so I 'm going to try that in cherry next.