PDA

View Full Version : Oops ... darn it ...

Ron Smith
01-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I was copying Bob's design on the desk sign, and was into cutting it out with the 1/8" cutter bit. It got through three passes and started the fourth when it broke the bit. I was doing it in oak, so it didn't take the strain. Now I need to go get another cutter bit. Be careful what you're cutting as some woods put a lot more pressure on the bits than others!

BobHill
01-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Ouch, don't you hate it when that happens. I've used routers before, so I keep a supply of extra bits. Having said that, though Ron, I regularly use oak and to date I haven't had a break of one in it, so hopefully that was just a weak bit.

Now, the beauty of the CarveWright is that if you put your work back in, as if it's a new piece of wood. just start the work over and it'll go over what is already cut and then do the finishing carving or cutting where it stopped and you won't be able to tell the difference from what it would have been if no break. It will, however, take as much time to complete as though it was doing the whole thing fresh.

Another way, however which will cut down on the time, is to determine the work that's already been done, make a copy of the original design, bu in the copy cut out what's already been carded or cut, then set the wood in to work. It'll now only cut what's "new" to it but on the already carved/cut wood. The machine is that accurate.

Bob

Ron Smith
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Ron, I regularly use oak and to date I haven't had a break of one in it, so hopefully that was just a weak bit.
Bob

I also know from experience about starting a project over. In the year I've had mine, I've become rather adept at these sorts of "do-overs". I've started to redo many and taken the bit out and let it run to the point of carving again. A small project like this isn't too bad. I like the machine and don't get too awfully upset anymore about these sorts of things ... they just happen. So I'll put a new bit in and continue on. Thanks for the advice.

Ron

hss1
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
I have not had any success trying to start over in the middle of a project. I was carving a piece and the only step left was to cut it out. I had a "Y" axis error and I aborted the project. I cleaned the machine and tested the "Y" axis and everything was okay, so I went back to the computer and took everything out except the cut path that had not been done, reloaded the board and the machine could never measure the board because it seemed to think that some of the carved area was the end of the board. I started over and the design ran and completed successfully.

What did I do wrong???

Thanks,

Henry S. Swearingen

Dan-Woodman
01-15-2007, 08:10 PM
sometimes a piece of masking tape will let it measure over obsticles.

Ken-S
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I tried to rerun one of my projects and it when it tries to get the thickness of the board it checks it at a caved point. Are you saying that I should put a piece of tape there?

Dan-Woodman
01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Thers a way you can move that check point.
I think--- when it starts to check the thickness,press stop I think it will give you option to move the head to different location. try it. buy useing the direction arrows on the pad.
The masking tap I used was for measureing the width of a board.
I was routing a slice of wood with the bark stillon one side,so I made a sled foe it to have a straight edge to ride against the fence, but it wouldn't measure beyond the bark, so I put a piece of tape across the bark to the edge of my sled and va-voom it measured to the edge of the sled, letting me center my word on the slabof wood with the bark.