PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Machine Advice

lynnfrwd
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
What should a customer look for when considering buying a used machine?

cnsranch
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Your email address so they can buy a new one.

DurhamDev
07-14-2011, 02:51 PM

If my monitor doesn't come clean after spitting coffee on it, I'll be needing YOUR E-Mail address to send you the bill! LOL!

mtylerfl
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Yes, indeed! LOL!

...I'll add to this. Put your phone on Speed Dial to AL WHO.

gregsolano
07-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Look at the serial number, if it begins with an A its a version A machine if it is a B then it is a version B and finally if it begins with a C, then it is a Version C Machine.

If its a sears craftsman compucarve then its a version A or B, If its a Carvewright it could be Version A,B, or C.

Once you know if it is version A, B, or C, (C is the newest and best) A model machines were the most unreliable. If it's an A make sure it has had the A907 upgrade. If u can get the serial # call LHR and find out the machine history.

Look at the number of hours machine has been used (can be found by using the keypad), If it has 250 or more carving hours then it will need motor brushes and soon other maintenance.
What type of chuck does it have? Quick Chuck (you will want to replace it with the carve tight or Rock as soon as possible), or a Rock chuck (an after market chuck) or the Carve tight which is the newest from Carvewright and was the standard in version C.

Look at cleanliness, was the machine kept clean and lubed? Look at the sheath on the flex cable for signs of over heating. A used machine in working condition should be about $800 to $1000. Make sure it has the memory card, the programmer, bits and bit change out tools.

Warranties and software including the probe software are not transferable and you will have to repurchase. The basic designer software is transferable, get a receipt for the purchase you will need it to transfer the software and machine registration into your name.