PDA

View Full Version : Tracking roller O-ring size

JDPratt
07-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I apologize if it is already out there. I couldn't find it in a search. What is the size of the little rubber o-ring on the tracking roller. Mine's gone so I need to replace it. Any thoughts on the best place to acquire?

John

AskBud
07-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I apologize if it is already out there. I couldn't find it in a search. What is the size of the little rubber o-ring on the tracking roller. Mine's gone so I need to replace it. Any thoughts on the best place to acquire?

John
Any hardware store should have them.
Check this link for your size.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18042-Missing-O-ring-and-damage-help-please&p=152025#post152025
AskBud

JDPratt
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks Bud. I guess my search words were different. That is the thread I was looking for.

John

mtylerfl
07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks Bud. I guess my search words were different. That is the thread I was looking for.

John

Hi John,

We were informed at the 2011 CW User Conference that the O-ring is not necessary. So you can go ahead and use your machine as normal, with or without the O-ring.

Kenm810
07-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Quote: --Here's a "shocker" for you...you do NOT need the O-ring. Your projects should run just fine without it
(as you have already discovered). Remember Chris Rawls at the CW Conference?
He made the "shocking announcement" regarding the O-ring during his presentation.

Just a thought, I was unable to be there -- is that true for models a,b, and c, or just units with the New Rubber Traction Belts?

lynnfrwd
07-14-2011, 05:28 PM
About a year ago we switched to a smaller o-ring. Tests here show that most of the time, the o-ring is not necessary. It doesn't matter if it is A, B, C or with the Heavy Duty Traction Belts.

There really may be two instances when the o-ring is beneficial to have:

1. When you are making repetitive passes on the same section of the board, like taking 5 times around to cut out a circle. The teeth of the roller can dig into the board and wear a deep path that might effect it. The o-ring would help prevent this. If it is only one pass on the same path or maybe even 2 passes in the same area of the board, it really shouldn't dig in enough to cause an issue.

2. If you are using a really hard material, like Corian or hard acrylic that is not in a wooden jig. Without the o-ring, you might experience slippage.

In most instances, it is not needed and sometimes it will actually improve your tracking NOT to have an o-ring.

Kenm810
07-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the "O" Rings, thought I should ask -- just in case
a few other Folks out there might be wondering --

CarverJerry
07-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Put that way now I can see where the o-ring is needed and not needed. Thank you for clearing that up.

CJ