PDA

View Full Version : Corian

chkorte
07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
To bad I'm not into carving corian. This was just posted on my local Craigs list.
14 SHEETS OF BLACK CORIAN WITH MARTI GRAS SPECKLE
(3) 30" X 6'
(11) 30" X 5'
$300 WILL TAKE THE WHOLE LOT

atauer
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
:O

That is a great deal!!!

There are a few patterns that I wouldn't mind carving into corian, and the fact that this particular bunch has kinda a speckled stone look would make the patterns even better!

Whoever gets it is getting an awesome deal!

chkorte
07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I was considering contacting this guy about buying this corian but I've never used it. I read that it's hard on the CW and the bits and that it's more difficult to keep th CW clean because the corian clings to everything. And this being black corian are there any good projects it would be good for. Looking at the pictures the seller posted I think this is 6 mm thick. Your thoughts!

gregsolano
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
I carve corian a lot and while the bits may not last as long I have not had any problems, I use the fletcher dust collection system and it works great. coasters, cutting boards and signs would be good in black corian.

atauer
07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Yep!

I even have a couple comic book items that I would like to see done in a black corian. Batarang, grappling claw, etc.

Gary Koval
07-16-2011, 06:39 AM
I have used corian exclusively for the last year, year and a half, still using the same two bits carving and 60 degree. I just love the results on corian. I probably made a hundred or so signs 11 1/2 square in that time.

eromran
07-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Gary if you dont mind me asking do you apply any thing on after you paint and what paint do you use ? Seen you post several signs before they all look great. Sorry if you already have answered this somewhere else THANKs

Gary Koval
07-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I use my wife's ceramic paints (water based) then spray them with Krylon clear, (I like gloss) $3.24 at Walmart and Home Depot at least in the Cleveland area.

woodchip
07-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Gary, those signs are realy Great (even the ohio state oneha-ha)
Go BLUE
Don

Gary Koval
07-17-2011, 07:55 AM
What I forgot to mention is that the carving part of most of my patterns don't go very deep, usually about .085 depth, height 100. And of course it usually depends upon the carve part of the pattern I lower the depth until the point in which I can see it clear enough to paint. Hope, that makes sense?
Despite all of our problems... GO BUCKS!!!

woodchip
07-17-2011, 11:36 AM
All kidding aside, those signs look GREAT>
Don

chkorte
07-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I pretty much talked myself into buying the corian. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to get the corian in my van so I can get it home. My son came over and we think we’ve found a way to do it. The guy that has it is on vacation so as soon as he gets back I’ll get hold of him and buy it. In the mean time I took a little drive this morning and bought some brazilion cherry. Actually it is jatoba but everyone calls it brazilion cherry. I found a furniture shop that had lots of board ends. He keeps it around for his local crafters. I bought about 200 pieces. All from 6” to 9” wide and from 11” to 16” long. I should have enough to get me through the year.

pkunk
07-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Mardi gras Corian....30"x144"x .05 is $446 a sheet plus shipping. Such a deal!

chkorte
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
To bad I'm not into carving corian. This was just posted on my local Craigs list.
14 SHEETS OF BLACK CORIAN WITH MARTI GRAS SPECKLE
(3) 30" X 6'
(11) 30" X 5'
$300 WILL TAKE THE WHOLE LOT

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the corian. Now I just need to find a place to stack it all.

kool69sporty
07-28-2011, 10:00 PM
ch...you can store some at my place, I'll make all the room you want!!
Seriously, are you up for selling any? Should be a fair profit in it for you. PM me if so. Thnx.
Joe

lawrence
07-28-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm interested in a flat-rate box full as well... sounds like you could easily go into profit if you'd like or trade for mesquite or genuine mahogany?

Lawrence

dltccf
07-29-2011, 09:02 AM
You prompted me to search craigslist also and I came across this for anyone who might be in the Washington DC area:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mat/2518217038.html
There is probably one of these "The Community Forklift" type places in just about every city. I think the Baltimore one is called "the Restore" or something and sits directly across the street from a huge Home Depot.

dave

dougmsbbs
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I think the Baltimore one is called "the Restore" or something and sits directly across the street from a huge Home Depot.

dave

Thank you! I have been getting my Corian from a cabinet shop. But they don't give it away, and the selection isn't all that great. You're comment about 'the restore' struck a bell. We have one of those around here! So I called them. They don't have any right now, but they DO get it in now and again. Now I'm on their call list for the next time they do.

Another local source. Gotta love it!

Again, thanks for thinking of that and passing it along!

Ken Dolph
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Not local...not free... not even cheap but if you want a specific color ...

We sell Corian specifically for hobbyists of all types.

On this site you will find the duPont manual "How to work with Corian in the home workshop" as well as many other notes and instructions. That is free.

http://sites.google.com/site/coriartinc/

I hope this helps

chkorte
07-29-2011, 10:19 PM
ch...you can store some at my place, I'll make all the room you want!!
Seriously, are you up for selling any? Should be a fair profit in it for you. PM me if so. Thnx.
Joe

I may look to sell some but it will take me some time before I'm organized enough to get around to selling any. When I have some cut and am ready to sell some I will post it here.