PDA

View Full Version : Finding board thickness

jkbogi
07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
My machine goes through the normal process for the start up. After the last step to find the board surface, it has started looking for the board thickness instead of starting the cut. It makes a few z axis measurements and then stops. It asks if the bar is slid over to the work piece. I answer yes and then it asks for the board thickness. I put in the thickness manually and the machine starts the carve and functions normally throughout the carve. Is this a feature that was added with an upgrade or do I have a problem with my machine?

AskBud
07-10-2011, 06:52 PM
My machine goes through the normal process for the start up. After the last step to find the board surface, it has started looking for the board thickness instead of starting the cut. It makes a few z axis measurements and then stops. It asks if the bar is slid over to the work piece. I answer yes and then it asks for the board thickness. I put in the thickness manually and the machine starts the carve and functions normally throughout the carve. Is this a feature that was added with an upgrade or do I have a problem with my machine?
There are several possible reasons.
1) How thick is your board?
2) Was it on a sled?
3) How wide is your board/sled?
4) have you checked to see that the sliding bar is properly mounted (the hole/slot should be on the side that is nearest the board)?
AskBud

liquidguitars
07-10-2011, 08:11 PM

I think this is normal for the Carvetight "c" machines at least with my mine and my sled.
I am new to the c machine right now but i been using the wood size in z not the total sleds thickness at the keypad prompt seems to have some influence to depth some quick tests would show.

gregsolano
07-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a carvetight C machine and I do 90% of my carving with a sled and I have never seen this or been asked to punch in thickness. When doing a cut through it warns me that the material is thicker and if I still want to continue and I put yes.

jkbogi
07-10-2011, 09:26 PM
The board is 1.75 thick on a sled. The sled measures 6" wide by 15.5" long. The project board is 5x8. I have used this sled on numerous occasions in the past and never encountered this situation. The sliding bar has never been removed from the original purchase and is in the proper position.

There are several possible reasons.
1) How thick is your board?
2) Was it on a sled?
3) How wide is your board/sled?
4) have you checked to see that the sliding bar is properly mounted (the hole/slot should be on the side that is nearest the board)?
AskBud

liquidguitars
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
My old 1000 hr machine that the Carvewright guys installed a Carvetight and fixed the table last month asks me every time for the thickness when I use my violin sled so I just thought it was normal. But none of the other machines " i have 4" will.

rcdages
07-11-2011, 07:43 AM

I have the same thing going on with my machine also. Once you enter the thickness it goes fine.

Any answers?

robertdpittman
07-14-2011, 06:07 AM
I have had this same issue. It drove me crazy. I have a "B" series machine with the Rock Chuck. When I put the bits in the chuck a little too far and expose less than 1.5", I get this message. If I pull the bit out a little more to about 1.5" (the exposed length of the bits that come from LHR) the problem goes away. If I pull the bit out too far, I get a Z stall message (I forget the exact message) and the bit will get stuck on the plate.

Hope this helps

DurhamDev
07-14-2011, 07:05 AM
I've noticed the request to input the board thickness, and thought it might be because I've recently started using the 'cut path' for my carvings...