PDA

View Full Version : Logs... Lots of Logs and Professional Courtesy

Digitalwoodshop
07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
As I had mentioned before, there is a new Gas Pipeline going in on our property along side the other one... As a result, they started cutting the equipment access today...

A Feller Buncher grabs the tree and a blade at the bottom slices it off... The Operator sets it where ever he wants... Pretty Cool... First time I had seen one that close....

I am going to end up with more Carving Lumber than I know what to do with.... On the other side of the Highway I counted between 75 and 100 Oak Trees... I was looking at a small Log Arch to go behind my Explorer to move them to the Shop Band Saw Mill..... One log at a time... There is a bunch of Oak on this side of the road too along with 1000 plus Spruce Trees....

So the Professional Courtesy part... We had a 1940 Chevy parked under the trees since 1963 and a old Buck Saw next to it.... The Feller Buncher Operator picked it up carefully and set it on the other side of the pipeline so it would not get damaged.... You could almost hear the Buncher telling the little buck saw.... "O' how cute... Come back when you Grow UP.... LOL......

Yes, like a bunch of Rednecks we sat on lawn chairs and watched the progress from the back yard....

The last picture is a reverse view of the Spruce that were cut. The next to last shows the last of the big stand falling, same as the far left tree in the reverse winter view... Lots of Logs....

AL who...

Deolman
07-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Quite Neat!

liquidguitars
07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Cool and free gass down the road.< Smiles> I will take 1/2 a cord of 1"x10"x17" tight grain... maple billets are good with sizes of 2"x10"x24".

LittleRedWoodshop
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
great story ... thank you for sharing ... how much for the car?

liquidguitars
07-10-2011, 12:22 AM
I Decided to pimp Al's ride when he was gone...

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/truck159Green.jpg

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/truck159Gray.jpg

One for picking up tape...

fwharris
07-10-2011, 12:49 AM
I Decided to pimp Al's ride when we was gone...

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/truck159Green.jpg

Got a love it!!!

Smoken D
07-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Man, and I am about to finish up 250bf of oak and gonna need some more. The Al Who Pimp Mobile??? Cute!!

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2011, 10:29 AM
WOW.... Great Artwork.... I am ready for a Hoe down..... LOL..... In my sweet pimp mo bile....

The car is sold... The kid waited until after a heavy rain and got stuck trying to get to the car so he will be back with a 4x4...

I am looking at a $4K log arch to help move the logs...

AL

jpaluck
07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I want a ride Al..sweet model LG

SteveEJ
07-10-2011, 02:56 PM
WOW.... Great Artwork.... I am ready for a Hoe down..

AL

Ya can't say that down here.. Complete different meaning!! lol

gregsolano
07-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow liquid those blow away anything I have ever seen on pimp my ride or any other show. Man if I only had the money to build one. Actually wish I could buy and restore Al's car from the forest graveyard!

Digitalwoodshop
07-10-2011, 10:49 PM
I talked to my Neighbor tonight as he has much more land than us and is a former sawmill owner that now does firewood with all the Automated Equipment.... Even he is overwhelmed with this whole log thing too.... The log piles are huge... He gave me some advice.....

The Spruce will most likely spoil before I ever got to it... Either turn blue or the chewing insects would get to it... Can't get to the logs until the pipeline pipe is burried......

The Oak would last about a year.... Hopefully....

Where will I find the time to cut all the wood... It's midnight and I am trying to get a Tag Project done to ship tomorrow....

I have 18 wood signs in various stages of being painted and got 2 more orders....

My most asked question is???? Where is my Stuff.....?

I am overwhellmed.... Back to work....

AL

liquidguitars
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
In that case you could cull out all the bad ones and buck a few of the big boys special trees into smaller sizes for splitting regarding spruce and ceder it will hand split into billets with a fro and mallet quickly that could be moved to a truck but that's a young mans job. back in the day I owned a saw with a 32" bar full comp for softwood, good times Oregon trees get big or used to. I remember tending with a feller on a old dead ceder around 5' diameter one day I still have two boards left. Sometimes the blue is not bad and some dead worms as long as it was a good quality tight or figured grain around it.

Digitalwoodshop
07-11-2011, 01:28 AM
I will keep you in mind..... good advice too....

Thanks,

AL