PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for when buying a used CW

dltccf
07-08-2011, 12:57 PM
I found someone selling a used carvewright, actually a compucarve. What are the list of things I should look for and ask about before buying? He said it had about 100 hours on it.

gregsolano
07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
number of hours which you know, the version A, B, or C, (C is the newest and best) A machines were the most unreliable. What type of chuck does it have? Quick Chuck (you will want to replace it with the carve tight or Rock as soon as possible), or a Rock chuck (an after market chuck) or the Carve tight which is the newest from Carvewright and was the standard in version C. look at cleanliness, was the machine kept clean and lubed? Look at the sheath on the flex cable for signs of over heating. A used machine in working condition should be about $800 to $1000. Make sure it has the memory card, the programmer, bits and bit change out tools. warranties and software including the probe software are not transferable and you will have to repurchase. The basic designer software is transferable, get a receipt for the purchase you will need it to transfer the software and machine registration.

I just noticed you said its a compucarve so that means it is a version A or B.

cnsranch
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
You've been around for three years, but it's not clear if you actively use a machine now. If this is your first, unless you're mechanically inclined, I'd buy a new machine, and run away from a used one.

But that's just me.

lynnfrwd
07-08-2011, 10:35 PM
If it's an A make sure it has had the A907 upgrade. If u can get the serial # call LHR and find out the machine history. Look at upgrade costs cause by the time u r done, u might could have bought a new version c on sale.

dltccf
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
You've been around for three years, but it's not clear if you actively use a machine now. If this is your first, unless you're mechanically inclined, I'd buy a new machine, and run away from a used one.

But that's just me.

True, I have been wanting one for at least three years, but haven't bought one yet. Other things keep getting priority in the budget, new roof, new shocks, brakes, pads and calipers for the wife's truck, kids college education etc. I'm sure you know how that goes. But I saw a used one listed on craigslist and saw an opportunity to actually buy one for less. So are you saying that even if I go an look at it and it appears to run OK and I have checked for all the suggestions I got here I should still stay away from the used one?

I assume that means the "reconditioned good as new versions C" ones on ebay also?

AskBud
07-09-2011, 01:09 AM
True, I have been wanting one for at least three years, but haven't bought one yet. Other things keep getting priority in the budget, new roof, new shocks, brakes, pads and calipers for the wife's truck, kids college education etc. I'm sure you know how that goes. But I saw a used one listed on craigslist and saw an opportunity to actually buy one for less. So are you saying that even if I go an look at it and it appears to run OK and I have checked for all the suggestions I got here I should still stay away from the used one?

I assume that means the "reconditioned good as new versions C" ones on ebay also?
Why do you think a "New C Machine" would need to be reconditioned?
Before I buy that offer, I'd check with LHR and see if they still have any "Open Box Units" to sell. Two days ago there were still some on hand.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18586-Open-box-special&highlight=open+box

gapdev
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
What is the difference between an A and a B and how would you know which one you've got?

Kenny

Capt Bruce
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
First character of the serial number on the machine tells you A, B, or C

dltccf
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all for the buying advice. I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of the open box specials Carvewright has been advertising this morning. I am so excited.

dbfletcher
07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Awesome! I'm sure you'll have a blast. When in doubt about anything regarding the CW, it is always best to post your questions or concerns here. As you have seen, this is a very active forum with many members willing to go way out of thier way to help you be successfull with this fun.. but often times frustrating machine.

lawrence
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Congrats!

I can only suggest that you do a good bit of reading/research before you do your first carve. This will save you mountains of grief

Welcome to the club--
Lawrence

gregsolano
07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks to all for the buying advice. I just pulled the trigger and ordered one of the open box specials Carvewright has been advertising this morning. I am so excited.

Welcome to the club, You won't regret it, I love my machine.