PDA

View Full Version : Sign for a horse jump

easybuilt
07-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Here is one of two signs I created for a horse jump being put on this weekend. They will be putting them on the front of the jump. It was a rush job but I think it came out nice.
One of my CW's started having Y issues and Stan in Enumclaw offered to loan me his CW to finish the project! Lots of great friends out there!

DurhamDev
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
I like it! In fact, I love most signs made on the CW with raised portions.

Quick question - did you do the entire thing with the standard bit, or did you work on your MPC to 'cut away' most of the external carve regions before focusing on the raised text? (I'm asking, as I've been playing with this quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. I carved Fletcher's DC - or a reasonable facsimile thereof - within a 30 minute timeframe using the 3/8" bit I have.) I have a vested interest in the method you're using, as I would love to cut the hours (and hours) of time required to do signs like this, if at all possible.

rcdages
07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Hello Tom,

Good looking sign.

Like it very much and I am sure your customers will also.

b.sumner47
07-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Fine workmanship, being in a hurry. Capt Barry

easybuilt
07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I like it! In fact, I love most signs made on the CW with raised portions.

Quick question - did you do the entire thing with the standard bit, or did you work on your MPC to 'cut away' most of the external carve regions before focusing on the raised text? (I'm asking, as I've been playing with this quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. I carved Fletcher's DC - or a reasonable facsimile thereof - within a 30 minute timeframe using the 3/8" bit I have.) I have a vested interest in the method you're using, as I would love to cut the hours (and hours) of time required to do signs like this, if at all possible.
Thank you everyone for the great comments!
I first used the 3/8" bit but I lost too much detail in the small letters, the carve time was cut in half with this bit. The final carve on both signs was the standard carving bit. I like the raised text as it is easier to paint.

DurhamDev
07-08-2011, 06:46 AM
I first used the 3/8" bit but I lost too much detail in the small letters, the carve time was cut in half with this bit. The final carve on both signs was the standard carving bit. I like the raised text as it is easier to paint.

I agree, by using that bit alone, you would lose too much detail. But, if you setup ovals to carve around your text using the 3/8" bit, and configure them to cut first, you should decrease your time considerably. In theory, anyway. I have yet to test that.