PDA

View Full Version : Help with Harley Wings ptn.

oldfartjoe
07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello..
Such a long time since I was able to play with my carvewright...so much has changed.

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with the Harley Wings ptn file I found here on the forum. I have a few of these to make so I need to be able to modify the ptn file to remove the text, make the shield smaller, ( I really don't need copyright problems with Harley Davidson) and add a larger ribbon or banner at the bottom for changeable text. Could I do that if I had the pattern editor? But since I don't have the pattern editor..is there another way to do it?

All help appreciated...
Thanks,
Joe

AskBud
07-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Hello..
Such a long time since I was able to play with my carvewright...so much has changed.

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with the Harley Wings ptn file I found here on the forum. I have a few of these to make so I need to be able to modify the ptn file to remove the text, make the shield smaller, ( I really don't need copyright problems with Harley Davidson) and add a larger ribbon or banner at the bottom for changeable text. Could I do that if I had the pattern editor? But since I don't have the pattern editor..is there another way to do it?

All help appreciated...
Thanks,
Joe
Even with Pattern Editor, you may not alter someone elses pattern (unless they give you the MPW file). An exception would be as shown in the lesson titled "Lets Use part of a Pattern", found in my "Download" link below.

However, if you purchase the Scanning Probe (which includes the Pattern Editor) you will be able to do many things.
You could scan several different items and make patterns of each. You could further combine several of these items (patterns) and make a more complex pattern. My "Download" link, below also has a lesson titled "Making a Complex Pattern", which may be of assistance.

One word of caution about the probe:
The probe is very sensitive and, as such, will pick up the grain of a wooden model in many cases. Therefore, scanning something you have just carved may not give you the best results. It will do fine in some/many instances but you need to be prepared for the possibilities.

A Scanning Probe may be your best friend!
AskBud

oldfartjoe
07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Bud....
figured it wouldn't be easy...what the heck is a MPN file anyway?

As you can tell I haven't used my carvewright much. I'm wondering if it would be easier to make a model template from either plastic or white painted wood (so the grain wouldn't be picked up by the probe)..would that work? How about using psp or photo impact (maybe I could draw my own pattern)?
Has to be an easier way besides tracing a pattern on the board and hand routering...lol

Anyone else with advice?
Thanks again,
Joe

bjbethke
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Hello..

All help appreciated...
Thanks,
Joe

Since you do not have the Pattern Editor, You would need another program to make a pattern image for the CW Designer program. Two good free programs are "Paint & Inkscape" Paint is like a Photoshop type and Inkscape is like Corel Draw or Illustrator. If you need to take an image apart I would use Inkscape with a Victor images in the SVG format. See posted images;

AskBud
07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks Bud....
figured it wouldn't be easy...what the heck is a MPN file anyway?

As you can tell I haven't used my carvewright much. I'm wondering if it would be easier to make a model template from either plastic or white painted wood (so the grain wouldn't be picked up by the probe)..would that work? How about using psp or photo impact (maybe I could draw my own pattern)?
Has to be an easier way besides tracing a pattern on the board and hand routering...lol

Anyone else with advice?
Thanks again,
Joe
Sorry, I mis-typed. It should have been MPW. An MPW file is an editable version of a pattern file. When you place a pattern, you make, into your library it is saved as a PTN file.
You may edit that pattern because you made it, but no one else may do so unless you bring it back in to Pattern Editor and "Save as" a MPW file. That file may be passed on and edited by others. On occasion, a member will send me such a file so I can assist him/her in learning how to use pattern Editor. We talk on the phone as we both edit the same version of the file. My goal is to teach them the process, rather than just give them back an edited file.

I have scanned ceramics, metal, plastic, and some wood. Yes, each will work. In most cases, the key is a hard surface. The probe peeled the paint off some models, so you need to be sure that you own what you scan (or at least warn the owner that you may ruin the model as you attempt to do the scan).

Photo editing is another source. There is a recent Tip & Trick PDF on making a 3D type pattern using this process at this link:
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Oct-Nov_2010.pdf
There are also high powered 3D programs that will do the job should you wish (I'm not that far along as yet).
AskBud

oldfartjoe
07-06-2011, 07:10 AM
I'll give that a go
Thanks,
Joe