PDA

View Full Version : Scan tool question

autobody
01-14-2007, 11:23 PM
My CarveWright isn't here yet, I also ordered the scanning probe. How delicate of things can be scanned without damaging them? I have a carving that I made by hand a while back that I would like to scan, however some of the carving is undercut completely and is fairly delicate.

I've read in the forum that the down pressure is something like 80 pounds, can this be lessend for scanning?

Here's a picture of it:

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/105255/PICT78453512_S.jpg

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/105255/PICT78466170_M.jpg

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoShareGallery1/100503/105255/PICT78473919_M.jpg

Do you think it would survive the scan process without damage?

Thank you. ~Mike

poteetjr
01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I am considering buying to probe and would love to see what the scan looks like if you complete it to see the detail… Nice job on the carving as well.

pkunk
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
The 80# is the roller pressure that would be on the rails of the scanning sled. However, I tried a scan of a plaster of paris copy I made and the probe really ruined it. On a wood surface it does leave an almost sanded trace.

autobody
01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks pkunk, I will try scanning something that doesn't matter to me first then.

~Mike

mtylerfl
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Pkunk,

I ordered the Scanning Probe a few days before my machine arrived, and while still waitng for the probe, my machine came in, failed, and is on its way to Texas for repairs (the probe and my machine will cross paths on the way to and fro).

Anyway, I ordered the probe after reading the description posted (http://www.carvewright.com/probe.html) on the CarveWright website which reads...

• reproduce original pieces
• repair antique furniture
• copy trim and moldings
• resolution up to .005 inches
• Scans almost any material - even soft materials such as clay or wax

The last feature really sold me because it states that SOFT materials such as clay or wax can be "probed". I had grand ideas that I could model my own forms from clay, then have the probe trace my clay models.

From your experience stated above, it appears to me that the pressure exterted by the probe might not be suitable for soft materials after all. Is that your conclusion as well?

pkunk
01-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Pkunk,

• Scans almost any material - even soft materials such as clay or wax

The last feature really sold me because it states that SOFT materials such as clay or wax can be "probed". I had grand ideas that I could model my own forms from clay, then have the probe trace my clay models.

From your experience stated above, it appears to me that the pressure exterted by the probe might not be suitable for soft materials after all. Is that your conclusion as well?
Yes-so far. I may have been premature in probing raw, unset plaster. I have yet to speak with Carvewright tech support about this as I'm trying to give them a little space right now. I plan on speaking with them in a week or so and I'm letting my 2nd casting cure for that week. I have made a very sucessfull probe of a picture frame but haven't done the carving yet.
The probe flaked off a little paint, but it was black that was applied over a gold so could be easily scraped off with a fingernail. My jury is out for now.

BobHill
01-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Pkunk,

Hmmm. The literature says that the probe will even work with wax or clay, so I would think plaster would be a cinch. I've not tried the probe yet, but intend to soon and was thinking of using carving wax or perhaps modeling clay (not the child kind) and those are about the consistency of dried plaster I believe.

Bob

menewfy
01-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I was reading this topic and thought hmmmmmm

if you had something of value you could just make a mold of it scan the inside of the mold then use mirror and turn it inside out should carve what you have without damage. you could even cover the original in saran wrap so it does not stick.

just a thought.

mtylerfl
01-30-2007, 08:38 AM
I have yet to speak with Carvewright tech support about this as I'm trying to give them a little space right now. I plan on speaking with them in a week or so and I'm letting my 2nd casting cure for that week.

Hello Pkunk,

Have you had a chance to talk to the CW folks yet about the problem with scanning soft materials yet?

pkunk
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I haven't talked with the CW guys yet, but a completed scan on cured plaster & a clear coat of poly did work. My second scan of a different plaster casting broke some of the fragile parts and so I aborted. I seems to exert more pressure than I had hoped. :shock:

mtylerfl
02-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Pkunk,

Thanks for the update. I did see your parrot scan and it came out quite nice I must say!

I was hoping we wouldn't need to do a lot of prep work just to use our scanners, though.

My machine should be back to me from repair on Monday (tomorrow). I'll be carving first to make sure all is well, then plug in my scanner to start testing/experimenting with techniques for that.

Building a scanning sled out of laminated white shelving I picked up at Home Depot. Just bought a 12"x36" shelf for the bed and a 8"x36" shelf to rip for the two side rails.