PDA

View Full Version : Cut motor brush specs?

DickB
07-02-2011, 06:41 AM
My local hardware store has a good selection of brushes. I would like to know the specs on the cut motor brushes to see if I could buy a pair locally.

bergerud
07-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Your best bet is to take an old brush with you to find the closest match you can. (You will be missing the dimension in the wear direction but they were square.) If you cannot find the exact size you can get larger ones and file them down. The trick is to use the old springs on the new brushes. Note also that AC and DC brushes are different. That's what I had to do in Canada.

Digitalwoodshop
07-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Highly Recommend to NOT buy Brushes Local.... They are $5.00 a set and if you combine shipping on other things it does not sting so bad...

Yes, you can find brushes... But there are a few compelling reasons to NOT do it....

1. The Spring has a copper wire tether inside. It acts to conduct voltage to the inside of the Carbon AND more importantly it acts as a DOG CHAIN and once the brush is worn thin acts to stop the spring hardware from reaching the Spinning Copper Commutator. Once damaged your motor is TOAST.... Brush $5.00 Motor >$100.00

2. The brushes are Metric and could be hard to fit correctly... If too thin they will flop around.... If too tight they Jam and snap that $40.00 bit. So when you order that new $40.00 Bit and $15.00 Shipping buy your brushes then.... Get 4 sets.... Change every 250 Cut Hours.....

This is a public service announcement from the Pocono Digital Woodshop...... Nothing to buy just FREE ADVICE.... Just here to Help not make money from the Forum Members. I never charge for my fix it advice....even when you call me at the shop... Always FREE and Always Happy to HELP.... We were all new once.

AL

mtylerfl
07-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Sound advice, AL!

Thank you for everything you do to help keep us out of trouble and to help us get out of trouble when your advice wasn't followed in the first place! <smile>

liquidguitars
07-02-2011, 06:41 PM
We have some old graphite blocks for glass work that I cut a small square off to fix my skill saw one day in a pinch.. Hee hee it worked...

bergerud
07-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with AL. How can you not agree with doing it right! My advice only applies if you are stuck like I am. Brushes are not that hard to fit if you are careful. Still it should be a temporary measure until you can get the right brushes. With Carvewright coming back to Canada, I will be ordering new brushes and a new x drive gear. Check out my patch job on my old x gear. Sometimes you do what you have to do. Advice for that can be useful too. The carving must go on.

unitedcases
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Thats called "Not letting that 2 dollar part stop your weekend of carving". Very Nice Bergerud. I also agree with Al. I have about 7 sets and everytime I order something I get another set. That and FFC cables. I am not going to tell you how many of those I have.

Digitalwoodshop
07-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I agree with AL. How can you not agree with doing it right! My advice only applies if you are stuck like I am. Brushes are not that hard to fit if you are careful. Still it should be a temporary measure until you can get the right brushes. With Carvewright coming back to Canada, I will be ordering new brushes and a new x drive gear. Check out my patch job on my old x gear. Sometimes you do what you have to do. Advice for that can be useful too. The carving must go on.

What we need is THIS gear re designed with screw in INSERT pieces like you have.... Like the new Spiral Planer Rectangle 4 face Knives..... Able to replace a section..... as needed.... Good Job !!!!

Yes, Temp Brushes would be a good fix too while waiting for parts....

AL