PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Incorrectly

Hank93
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
My machine seems to be measuring incorrectly, it went all the way to start carving but it was missing the end of the board by about an inch.. This was with "Stay Under Rollers = Yes). I am sure there is a calibration that I need to do but can't seem to find the exact one to start with..

I have recently upgraded to the heavy belts and also installed new gears.. I have carved since these replacements were done, however I don't think the machine has ever worked exactly right. It seems to be a battle to get a carving to go, it either stops with check roller, or project won't fit on board (which I assume is because of the bad measurements) etc.. One time I loaded a board into the machine and it kept coming up telling me to load a board. This is cabinet grade Oak, and I have never had a problem with loading it in the past.. I keep my machine clean (after each job), everything is lubed as it should be but it seems so picky lately..

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks..

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2011, 07:18 PM
There is a step in installing the rubber belts that tells you to file the holes for the brass roller so you can move it closer to the center of the machine. If you don't do that... when the board is in the machine it squashes the belts making them touch the brass roller and make the measurement Wrong....

That is my WAG.... Wild AL Guess....

And be sure to read Tips and Tricks...

AL

Hank93
07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
There is a step in installing the rubber belts that tells you to file the holes for the brass roller so you can move it closer to the center of the machine. If you don't do that... when the board is in the machine it squashes the belts making them touch the brass roller and make the measurement Wrong....

That is my WAG.... Wild AL Guess....

And be sure to read Tips and Tricks...

AL

I thought that I followed the instructions to the letter but I don't remember filing anything.... Hmmm I am going to see if I still have those somewhere and maybe I missed that one.

Here is the weird part, I just had it measure the same board and Length (tape measure) 38.125, Machine Length 37.936 - Width (tape) 11.312, Machine Width 11.288 - Not enough difference for it to miss the entire board with the stay under rollers selected.. I think I am going to try to start the carving one more time and see if I get different results. That is what I meant by picky, it seems there is always some small problem and usually they are different each time..

DickB
07-01-2011, 07:48 PM
One time I loaded a board into the machine and it kept coming up telling me to load a board.
This means that one or both rollers did not move sufficiently to trigger the microswitch, probably due to insufficient pressure. Clean and lube the vertical posts, the leadscrews, and the handle rachet mechanism (procedure is to remove the handle and spray white lithium greas IIRC, but I have used WD-40 in a pinch).

Also in the belt change did you install the new o-ring? The belts are thicker and require this. Doesn't the belt change instructions you to recalibrate?

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
It will cost you $40.00 to play with the machine before fixing the brass roller problem..... That is in the Broken Bit that will happen.....

I have never had the pleasure of changing to the new belts... Like the old ones.. I have just seen this question posted about a dozen times just after changing to rubber belts..... And it is always... "The Brass Roller".....

It's all about the brass roller when the belt bulges...... and touches it.....

AL

Hank93
07-01-2011, 09:01 PM
This means that one or both rollers did not move sufficiently to trigger the microswitch, probably due to insufficient pressure. Clean and lube the vertical posts, the leadscrews, and the handle rachet mechanism (procedure is to remove the handle and spray white lithium greas IIRC, but I have used WD-40 in a pinch).

Also in the belt change did you install the new o-ring? The belts are thicker and require this. Doesn't the belt change instructions you to recalibrate?

All of my post are lubed and I am certain it is getting enough pressure on the rollers. And yes I did install the O-ring with the belts.

It is carving now, I think I found some of the problem anyway. I recalibrated the X axis and by my calculations it needed to be about what the default was so I just returned to default. It seem to measure correctly after that. The other problem I noticed was with my wood, could not really see it by eye but I felt it and on the bottom side it had a small groove across the board that I think was throwing the brass roller off. I flipped the board over and it is worked perfect. When it missed the board earlier it actually ran the board all the way through to the right (looking from keypad end) and tried to start carving off the wood to the left end of it. Total opposite end from where it should start.

Thanks for all the suggestions, right now it is working again. I may bring this thread back to life with my next carve with new errors, who knows.... haha

Hank93
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
It will cost you $40.00 to play with the machine before fixing the brass roller problem..... That is in the Broken Bit that will happen.....

I have never had the pleasure of changing to the new belts... Like the old ones.. I have just seen this question posted about a dozen times just after changing to rubber belts..... And it is always... "The Brass Roller".....

It's all about the brass roller when the belt bulges...... and touches it.....

AL

Hmmm well all I can say is I hope you are wrong.. I don't doubt that you aren't though... Is there a way for me to check to see if the roller is hitting the belts, hard to see with a board loaded in the machine. Would it not be leaving some minor wear and tear to the edge of the belt for evidence of this.. I found my printed out instructions for changing the belts and didn't see anything in there about filing anything down. If you have the instructions on how I need to fix this problem before I loose a bit I would appreciate it..

DickB
07-02-2011, 06:37 AM
All of my post are lubed and I am certain it is getting enough pressure on the rollers.
Another possibility is that sawdust collects around the microswitch and prevents the switch from activating. A compressed air blast at the end of the rollers between the large rubber washer at the end of the roller and the frame may work, but I had one so bad I could only clean it by partial disassembly.

Digitalwoodshop
07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Another possibility is that sawdust collects around the microswitch and prevents the switch from activating. A compressed air blast at the end of the rollers between the large rubber washer at the end of the roller and the frame may work, but I had one so bad I could only clean it by partial disassembly.

Here is the deal with the rollers... There is a flat plate with 2 screws that act as the mechanical stop when the roller is un compressed. It is what the roller rests on when the head is cranked up.

When you load a board and crank down, the roller leaves the plate and the springs hold it to the board. That GAP on the metal plate where it rests gets filled with sawdust and with every un compressed cycle packs like multi layer Filo Dough. There is a Micro Switch that lets the activator fall into a slot when the roller is un compressed and tells the computer... I am un compressed.... When the board is measuring length, it waits for the roller to become un compressed then turns on the Board Detector to look for the edge of the board. This is why you will see a error code telling you the roller is not un compressing. Sometimes it spits the board out and the far side roller un compresses... The machine also looks to see when the rollers are un compressed when you crank up the head...

I had a intermittent Roller not un compressed and it turned out to be the 2 screws on the under side of the machine going into the 4 smooth rails of the machine. The Motion of the loose shaft up and down gave me "Possible Board Removal??" when the head was cranked down...

So that is my Free Advice on the Micro Switch....

AL

kool69sporty
07-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Hank, since it was mentioned below, I did file the holes in the mounting plate for the brass roller after installing the rubber belts. The problem was that the roller would just graze the belt at a spot or 2. This was mentioned some time ago on the forum as something to look out for with the rubber belts. it seems to be a hit or miss kinda thing on individual machines. FYI.
Joe