PDA

View Full Version : alby

Allen Cloud
07-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Hi, new to Forum and to CW, bought system off a classified ad and it was registered to previous owner. CW was very helpful in getting unlocked so I could register in my name.
So I immediately broke both bits that came with it. 1/8' cutting bit and the 1/16' carving bit. Do I need to learn how to load the bits better (is there a trick) or set up the parameters (depth of cut)? I was using scrap alder. Hard to cut projects without bits. I have new bits coming so it will give me a chance to get through some of the learning materials. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TerryT
07-01-2011, 07:52 AM
What do you mean by "scrap alder"? Lots of new people make the mistake of using junk wood in the machine. You have to make sure the board you use is flat and square with both sides parallel and good edges to ride on the brass wheel (sensor). The board also has to be the proper size. Make sure the board is staying under the rollers otherwise the board will tip up when it comes out from under the rollers and could break a bit.

On the other hand, I don't remember hearing of anyone actually breaking a "carving" bit. Did the cutter make any unusual dives into the wood or other weird things? Give us more info like board size and condition, post the mpc you were using, etc.

jaroot
07-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I agree with Terry, Don't get cheap on the wood. I also have never heard of anybody breaking the Carving bit. I've broke a couple of cutting bits. If you go down to the local big box, Home Depot or Lowes etc, you can get some poplar or select pine that is not too badly priced and it makes good practice/project wood. Look it over well. Not all "select" lumber is created equal. You can find some pretty expensive wood that is warped and twisted.

Download all of the "Tips and Tricks" and read them well.

If it is a "C" machine with the Carvetight chuck you just have to make sure that the bits are fully seated before you tighten the set screw. If it is an earlier machine with the Quickchuck, order the Carvetight upgrade as soon as you can.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

You will find that there are a lot of experienced users here that are more than willing to help.

Allen Cloud
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Sorry, it was left over alder from other projects. I ran it through my thickness planer and the wood was flat and straight. So did I not install the bit properly was my question because it both broke and wasn't in the bit holder when I found it. The tip was lodged in the board and the rest of it was laying in the bottom of the CW.

jaroot
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
If the bit came completely out of the chuck then I'm guessing that it wasn't installed properly. Back to my question regarding the chuck, is your machine equipped with the Carvetight chuck or the Quick chuck? The Quick chuck bits all have adapters on them that have a pin sticking out on two sides. These bits are installed by pressing up on the outer sleeve of the chuck and then releasing it when the bit is fully seated. Once the chuck is locked there is a red mark on the chuck that will be visible and the bit will be solidly held by the chuck. The quick chucks are notorious for not fully locking into place so you must check each time to make sure. The carvetight bits, carving and 1/8" cutting, have a sleeve pressed onto them giving them a 1/2" o.d. with a larger shoulder on the tip end of the sleeve. If that's the type you have you just push it up fully into the chuck and tighten the set screw.
Sorry, it was left over alder from other projects. I ran it through my thickness planer and the wood was flat and straight. So did I not install the bit properly was my question because it both broke and wasn't in the bit holder when I found it. The tip was lodged in the board and the rest of it was laying in the bottom of the CW.
Carvetight bits =>45566
Quick Chuck bit (Disassmebled)=>45567

Allen Cloud
07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I have the quick chucks so I need to make sure the bits are all the way in. Thanks for helping.

Allen Cloud
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Jaroot I just noticed you're in Northern utah, ever heard of sandy utah? That's where I live and that's where I break perfectly good bits.

skeeterman
07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
allen i sent you a pm

ktjwilliams
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Although UR off to a rocky start,, once U learn bout the machine and GETTING UR BITS locked in the QC correctly, U'll enjoy the hell out of it.. Go read the tutorials and theres several really good videos on the machine... Once U get through some of that stuff U'll be ready to go.. Once U start carving U'll learn what to do and how to adjust ur projects to get the best results.. Good Luck and welcome...

jaroot
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi Allen

I live in Layton and have been in Sandy many times. I used to live in Millcreek area just off of 33rd South. In fact I lived just off 45 South for a while when we first moved here. I guess that is pretty close to Sandy but not quite there. 45579

As for the machine, as soon as you can afford it upgrade the chuck to either the Carvetight or a Rock chuck. It made all the difference in the world for our machine. Vibration and noise went down and the quality of cut and reliability of the machine went up.

Jaroot I just noticed you're in Northern utah, ever heard of sandy utah? That's where I live and that's where I break perfectly good bits.

Allen Cloud
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks to all, The new bits arrived and cut a project that I loaded and finished with no mishaps. It was the trial project 1 or 2 Live Laugh Love. I'm very pleased and excited to do more.