PDA

View Full Version : I've cut the noise in half

David M.
01-14-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm building a sound chamber for my CW, it's just to loud for my kids and wife. This is not quite finished but it works well already. It will have a proper lid soon and the feed in and out openings are being fitted with adjustable sliding doors that will close the gap on the ends for even more sound surpresion. They will be simple slides, adjusted by wing nuts. The whole bottom of the box is a down draft dust collector and the inside is fully lined with carpet (except the bottom). The top, back has 3 - 1.5" holes for ventilation

The foam is comming off, it was a test that didn't pan out. It sealed the heat in and didn't help the overall sound issue, and it looked kind of junky.

The Bard
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
awesome job man.

Aaron B
01-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Heat build up wont be a problem?

David M.
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
The heat was an issue right off before the ventilation holes in the top back and with the foam in place (which has since been removed) but since I don't believe the temp has risen above 75* after an hour plus job. I'm going to monitor it but I think I have enough space in the box for it not tobecome an issue. I'll let you know if it needs to be adjusted any further.

Aaron B
01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks, I guess one could always put a little portable fan blowing on it if need be.

David M.
01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I was thinking the same thing but I don't think it will be needed. The box seems to work like a chimney, all the heat is funneled up to the vents and out. And once I get a proper dust collector connected to my down draft chamber in the bottom the issue won't be an issue. The dust collector should pull the air throught the machine and out. Thats the plan anyway.

Famous last words.