PDA

View Full Version : The Wish-U-Well - Project of the Month JULY 2011

mtylerfl
06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JULY 2011), called the The Wish-U-Well. Wish them well with a unique project you made yourself! Great for special occasions such as weddings, baby showers, off-to-college, going away gift, welcome to the neighborhood, house-warming, retirement, club fund raising raffles, or fill it with silk plants or flowers as an accessory item to your home decor.

The sample shown has a Natural stain and clear-coat, but lends itself to numerous finishing possibilities! This project uses only a single bit to produce all the main components... just the 1/8" Cutting Bit that came with your machine. NOTE: A table saw is required to cut the roof miters. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled Wish-U-well are approximately: 10" wide x 10" deep x 10½" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• WUW-Peaked-Ends.mpc
• WUW-Sides.mpc
• WUW-Roof.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Peaked Ends: 0.75" x 11" x 28"
Sides: 0.75" x 11" x 18½"
Roof: 0.75" x 11" x 21"
Cut the following piece to size (not an mpc)
Box Bottom: 0.75" x 7" x 7"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) String or twine, ¼" dowel, table saw for cutting roof miters

4) Wood glue, sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.

Here’s what I used on my Wish-U-Well made from Select Pine:

• Minwax Natural Stain #209
• 4 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray

Optional: You can fabricate a turning handle for the bucket dowel if you wish. I did that with mine using pieces of scrap wood and misc. wooden parts from an arts and crafts store. (photos of how I made mine are included in the PDF instructions)

DocWheeler
06-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Very nice project Michael, and interesting that you are using only the cutting bit.

atauer
06-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Love it Mike!

With a little bit of work, it could also be a pretty cool lamp of sorts as well. Use some colored plastic, possibly blue, to make a sliding top piece, and have a small light underneath the blue plastic, giving it a watery look.

mtylerfl
06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Very nice project Michael, and interesting that you are using only the cutting bit.

Thanks, Ken! Yes, I wanted to try creating a project with just the one bit - "just because"!

Love it Mike!

With a little bit of work, it could also be a pretty cool lamp of sorts as well. Use some colored plastic, possibly blue, to make a sliding top piece, and have a small light underneath the blue plastic, giving it a watery look.

That's a great idea, Alex. I never would have thought of that!

atauer
06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I actually thought of that a while ago. I saw a large wishing well for sale down the street from me. Guy builds them for something to do, as he recently retired and wanted a way to make a little extra money.

The one's that he makes are quite large (about full size), and he showcases them as large planters, fountains, etc. I thought it would be cool to build a mini one, and create a litho lamp out of it somehow. That is when I came up with the idea for the "water".

I actually have started design work on it, but have gotten busy with other things (like always). So, I have an unfinished design that needs attention. If I ever get it finished, (the actual project layout), I'll show it off here.

lynnfrwd
06-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Love the Wish-U-Well!

If you know me, then you know I would probably leave off the bucket and stick a plant in it!

SteveJ
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I like it and know a few people that would love to have one. Great job!

b.sumner47
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Looks like it will be fun to do. Thank, Michael. Capt Barry

LittleRedWoodshop
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Very nice project Michael ... I'm with Lynn it would look really cool with a plant in it.

mtylerfl
06-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Very nice project Michael ... I'm with Lynn it would look really cool with a plant in it.

Your wishes are my command! (see the photo added above) <smile>

LittleRedWoodshop
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Very nice ... there you go Lynn.