PDA

View Full Version : Z index problem?

steevo
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I just got my carvewright friday. I have made about 5 carvings so far - only one a 'keeper'. I exepected this, but have a carving gone mad I can't seem to troubleshoot.

In the attached photo the carving goes great until just after the 'n'. The z axis seems to get confused and gradually plunges. You can see the difference if you compare the two top corners. The one on the right is much lower than that on the left. Also, the lines comming out of the star are much deeper than they should be and the last thing the carved.

I don't think it is the source file as everything was created/layed out in the Designer (except the heart which I made in photoshop using some of the corel draw samples as a guide to shading. I am actually quite pleased with the result.)

I have included the source file also. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

steevo
01-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks!

John
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Bit may have come loose and is working its way out of the holder. Could be snipe, although that's a lot of snipe! Those are the two obvious things that come to mind - I may totally be wrong on both.

Jeff_Birt
01-14-2007, 06:10 PM
This looks like the symptoms of a loose z truck or flakey encoder. Grab the z truck and give it a good wiggle. There should be NO play.

dspadell
01-14-2007, 06:15 PM
looks like the same problem I had with the encoder

steevo
01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
The bit and the z truck seem to be solid. The z truck will let me move it up and down a bit with resistance, but seems normal. The bit also seems to be solidly mounted in its adapter and in the machine..

What was the resolution to the encoder problem? That seems a likely culprit at this point.. like the bit lost its orientation and thought it was higher than it was. The letters if carved low were still the same height off the wood as the other letters - just that the wood was lower around them.

What was the symptom with the encoder?

Jeff_Birt
01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
The encoded will miss counts and therfore be to high/low, looking a lot like your pics. CW told me they did get some bad encoders.

You should be able to raise/lower the z-truck with a bit of resistance just as you have described. The Z-truck (and Y-truck) have bearings that are groved in the center. These grooves ride on rods. Two of the bearings on each truck are fixed, two are adjustable. If only one of the adjustable bearings is loose the Z-truck may not wiggle L-R (board feed axis) but will wiggle F-R (Y-axis). This was my experiance when I first noticed the truck being loose.

steevo
01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Trying to further troubleshoot I ran the sensor test. Here is what I saw on the lcd:
Homing Sensor: Clear
Coverswitch: Closed

That is all I could get.. Does this mean anything to anyone? Any further evidence of the encoder problem? Thanks

steevo
01-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Trying to further troubleshoot I ran the sensor test. Here is what I saw on the lcd:
Homing Sensor: Clear
Coverswitch: Closed

That is all I could get.. Does this mean anything to anyone? Any further evidence of the encoder problem? Thanks

steevo
01-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Trying to reach tech support at 713-473-6572 - Is this the correct #? Just rings. Also emailed support@carvewright.com. Thanks

dspadell
01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I am also trying to call them for my z axis problem but after a few rings it disconnects

steevo
01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I hope they are scaling tech support to match sales - looks like just about everyone is in need...

IM2HAPPI
01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey Folks,
Chris says.... As of today, we are in our new offices!!!

Our support line should now be forwarded to the new office. We are still working on configuring our phone system, so we apologize in advance for any problems.

Im sure thats why this is happening at this time.

dspadell
01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Just received an email from tech support just waiting for their return call.

steevo
01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I am not sure the next day I will have time to contact tech support on there schedule..

dick
01-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I am new here so I may be wrong but since every thing worked out right on the first side but not on the second side, you might want to go back to your computer and take a good close look at the picture and make shoure that both side look the same. Maybe the grayscale is off just tnought that the sencer is seeing a diferent depth.
dick

steevo
01-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, I regretfully ( regretfully because I really love concept of this machine) returned my machine today. Honestly it wasn't just the problems I had - I did work though most of them on my own and am sure I could have worked through the latest - I am just spooked that I got what I call the 'production beta'. I figured this out the night before I picked my machine up expecting a few problems. Then I waited endlessly for tech support yesterday without a return call - and I don't have bad feelings toward carvewright about that either. I am a technology professional and understand how one call can eat an afternoon. But I just don't have the time to run the production 'beta'. Tech support called my house today, but alas I am at work. Out of work, there is only one hour a day I can call tech support - given the amount of tech support calls I will probably need that just won't work for me. So I have gone with my gut and bailed.

I will keep my eye on this forum as I still really really want a machine that is a little more consistant. It is a fantastic technology and as soon as they have cranked out a few batches I certainly will reconsider.

To all those with machines - enjoy and post to the gallery. The peices these machines turn out when they are working properly are amazing.

I leave you with the only peice of original art I got a chance to carve - just a heart I tried to put on a sign for my stepdaughter. There were two of them on the piece - one of them turned out really great.

Regretfully without compucarve, Steve

BobHill
01-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't hang in there, Steve, but then everyone has their own directions to contend with.

Bob