PDA

View Full Version : Clean y rails

jerrbitt
06-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Been more than six months since --repeated surgery on a replacement knee has kept me out of the workshop. But today my son asked me to do a carving. About hlaf way through a one hour carve, the machine shut down and said Clean the Y Rails. Did that hit enter it started right up only to stop with the same message after about five minutes of carving.
That process continued for about five more stops until I got an X axis stall.

Called carvewright and they said it was a corrupted memory card. Reformatted tyhe card and ran the pattern again. Right now it is carvindf but has stopped one time for the Clean Y rails message.

Any ideas as to what is going on.

Digitalwoodshop
06-20-2011, 06:30 PM
With 209 posts I am guessing the bearings in the Y Gear Box are Shot.... That is if you have about 350 to 450 Cut Motor hours on your machine.

The 5 x 11 x 5 mm bearings wear out.

Lots of posts on this.

The Y gear shaft gets worn too... I posted the pictures in about 3 different posts this week so read other y stall posts.... Rarely is this a Card Problem in my opinion...

AL

jaroot
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Can I safely assume that 5X11X5 means 5mm wide, 11mm dia & 5mm hole?

The 5 x 11 x 5 mm bearings wear out.

AL

unitedcases
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
This is the link that takes you to the exact bearings you need.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768

jaroot
06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks unitedcases for the info. That is exactly what I needed to know. Based on Al Who's replace every 209 forum posts I guess I'm over due. <-insert smiley

unitedcases
06-21-2011, 02:44 PM
No worries. That is who I got the info from. I think he is on CW's payroll. They pay him in masking tape.

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
No worries. That is who I got the info from. I think he is on CW's payroll. They pay him in masking tape.

I knew they would TELL.... Rats....

AL

cestout
06-21-2011, 06:24 PM
If the Y truck is hard to move manually that is definitely your problem. LHR sells the shaft and gear cheep, but I got the barrings locally. Buy something else from LHR at the same, like brushes or bits, time so the shipping will not be so painful. Not all that difficult to do the work.
Clint

Digitalwoodshop
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes.... Cut Motor Brushes, FFC Cable, and Sand Paper Belts if you use them.... The Consumables...

AL