PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out why I bought this machine

Houndie dog
01-14-2007, 01:45 PM
I understand that this is a new product, but if you spent $1700 on a new television set and it only worked sometimes it would be going back to the store in a hurry. I am very disappointed in this machine because I was really excited about all the projects I could do now. I have used the machine for about 1 hour now and have had z-axis errors, y-axis errors, sensor errors, taking off on its own and going through the board,etc..........I completed one carving of some grapes on MDF after spending a butt load of money on this machine. I have to wonder why CW would put out a product that has so many problems ? I would assume that they would test the holy crap out of this machine in every condition you could think of before releasing it. I am just venting because i am so very dissapointed with this product. I can't quite bring myself to pack it up and take it back yet because I want it to work and am holding onto the hope that something can be done to fix it. It kind of sucks when the only day you have available all week to work on this machine (sunday for me) CW is closed and there is no hope of talking to them to get this fixed.
Don't want to be the party pooper, just very dissapointed.

Houndie dog
01-14-2007, 02:49 PM
I returned my machine today......I hope everyone else's machine works wonderfully and you all get to make some great carvings.
Happy carveing

liquidguitars
01-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Man :cry: bummer, you where just making grapes. What about the rest of the methos.

Jon Jantz
01-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Houndie Dog,

I hate to hear that. When we got this machine we had troubles at first with it... sensor errors and all kinds of problems. My father was trying to do some things with it and got so frustrated he told me to return it and he would buy a REAL router like a Shop-bot or a Multi-Cam.

Well, we kept at it and kept working with it and the all the problems have worked themselves out. The sensor error were because our wood was too dark, and sometimes too warped. The other errors have quit and actually the machine has now been working flawlessly for us for a bunch of projects.

One to keep in mind is that it is a marvel that Carvewright has come out with a machine of these capabilities that can be available at Sears to anyone who wanders in there to look at it. Normally, CNC routers are limited to a very special few people who can spend 15-20 grand and have 6 months to learn the software.

In a world where we can pull a laser printer out of a box and have it printing in 10 min flawlessly, it's good to keep in mind that this piece of equipment is quite a bit more finicky than a printer, but 10x easier yet than the next best option...

Don't give up on it yet! I'm learning also, but will glad to help you in any way I can.

Malfunction
01-15-2007, 07:13 AM
i am going to pick up my machine on wednesday. i wonder if there is a way to buy these returned items at a clearance price :idea: .

i work on CNC punch presses and other machines for a living, so i am hoping that my background will carry me through the caring for this machine. i have found through my career that most fixes with any machine are very simple. try to fix the simplest problems before going on to harder ones.

HandTurnedMaple
01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
I understand that this is a new product, but if you spent $1700 on a new television set and it only worked sometimes it would be going back to the store in a hurry.

lol, actually I spent $3200 on a 62" Big Screen and that same night remote started turning the TV off all by itself (it took 2 days to realize it was the remote doing it, not a flaw in the television). So I just pulled the batteries, threw it in a drawer, and programmed a universal remote I had laying around.

(BTW, there is no moral to this story. The example was way too appropriate to let go by.)

The Bard
01-21-2007, 01:00 AM
good anecdotes are the key to living forever.

swhitney
01-21-2007, 01:04 AM
good anecdotes are the key to living forever.

and an understanding spouse........

The Bard
01-21-2007, 01:14 AM
some of us are strategically avoiding that fate.