PDA

View Full Version : Board Exchange, Refurbs, etc.

Dave Lotek
06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I've been planning for years to purchase a Carvewright machine but have a few questions. Lets say you trouble shoot a problem to board level with the help of technical service people. Does Carvewright repair faulty boards, or exchange them pro-rated for new?

Also, I notice some factory refurbs on Ebay without warranties. Is this a safe move? Is the warranty that important?

And, I know, having been a computerized embroidery machine technician for 10+ years, that some people are jinxes around computerized machinery, and will crash one just being in the room with it. It seems that this might be the case with many of the problems CNC machines incur. Any comments?

Digitalwoodshop
06-19-2011, 06:12 PM
As for board level failures there are only a few that I have seen.

The L2 on the Old Version of the Power Supply snapping below the surface. QC Vibration Related plus more glue.

The C1 Cap on the X Termination Board. QC Vibration Related.

LED's snapping off the Board Sensor. Fixed or limited by gluing the board to the black plastic and getting rid of the Vibrating QC.

Encoder broken connections.

Flat FFC Cable failures as it can bend and bend only so many times and if you leave a sharp bend then it will break there.

Warranty Important? I would say YES to a new user... As for you, I believe you could fix anything that broke..... The Computer has not been tackled yet....

Got pictures of a burned X Termination Board, suspect Static Electricity had something to do with that...

I have one new and 3 used no warranty.

AL

mtylerfl
06-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Hello Dave,

When the machine warranty has expired, you would pay for any replacement parts (pretty much the same as most warranties). I wouldn't lose any sleep over that though - chances are you won't have to deal with a failed circuit board in the foreseeable future anyway. There are also several options for extending the standard warranty if desired, and you can also join the Carvers Club (http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20097&cat=287&page=1) at any time for discounts on out-of-warranty service, parts and other special perks exclusively for club members. I should mention that most early machine issues can be traced to pilot error and are mechanical in nature. On that note, read the Tips & Tricks to avoid common user errors and you'll be a happy camper.

I think you'll find the CarveWright woodworking system to be a piece of cake compared to your embroidery machines! The CarveWright design is simple, straightforward and the machine is easy to operate...without a doubt the easiest CNC machine to master. The Designer software is the "envy" of the home/hobby-CNC market...many other CNC manufacturers wish for software that is as user friendly as the Designer software is. If you are reasonably skilled with basic computer use, I'm confident you'll have no issues there either.

Go for it. You'll be glad you did! (Oh, one more thing...DON'T buy a refurb as your first machine! Watch for sales on NEW machines...there is one right now, at the time of this writing...a Father's Day special sale (http://store.carvewright.com/offers.php?mode=offer&offerid=53).)

liquidguitars
06-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Got pictures of a burned X Termination Board, suspect Static Electricity had something to do with that...

Sun spots...

ktjwilliams
06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought a refub,,, No Problems,,, Start off with some small projects... Understand the software and it's features.. Things like how to set a max cut depth per pass,, so the machine won't try to cut through the hole depth of material.. U will find some good MPC and PTN files on the forum.. Download and check em out in the software... run a carve,, Make some small changes to the project and see how it effects the project... Buy a few pieces of pine to practice on.. You'll learn alot doin it this way... Also READ and WATCH THE MANY TUTORIALS !!!

Dave Lotek
06-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the great replies! I would like to hear more if anyone else has something to share. Also thanks for the pics AL, I can see where the C version has solved a lot of vibrational problems. I used to place smaller embroidery machines on 1" thick rubber sandwiched cork blocks and it helped quell the vibrational noise. The best results were cement floors as opposed to wooden. I suppose I would try for a mounting surface for the CW made of something like railroad ties on a cement floor. Just a thought.

Digitalwoodshop
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Easier Fix... Just buy the CarveTite Version or buy a Rock for a regular version. It was the Worn QC's that caused the Vibration.... Wood Workers like ME would use them much longer after they were worn and just shook the machine to death...

AL