PDA

View Full Version : y motor pack

wiwoods
06-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I was not able to carve because the y motor gear was not moving the y truck! when I pulled the y motor to discover the motor shaft with the gear on it moves side to side and misses the large gear. assuming I need a new y motor pack and was wondering about what they run?

dover-sherborn
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
if you loosen the two small screws beside the gears you should be able to adjust this spacing and get the gears to mesh again. If not the Y motor goes for around 75 plus shipping so closer to 95 if I recall. If the motor has alot of hours on it you might be looking at replacing bearings and/or a new plastic gear. Other will post photos and better details I am sure.

goodluck

nick

unitedcases
06-19-2011, 06:09 PM
As Dover said, you just need to adjust the Y motor gear. There are instructions out there. I would search on this forum.

Digitalwoodshop
06-19-2011, 06:39 PM
WiWoods,

Since you are a member since 2008 then I expect you have a bunch of hours on your machine as you posted that the Z Encoder had dust in it....

As for your latest problem with the Y... I would look for a loose plug if you get zero movement from the Y at startup and homing... The Z should go up and down followed by the Y....

IF you have over 450 Cut Motor Hours than you more than likely have the bearings on the Y Gear Box are bad... When the two 5 x 11 x 5 mm bearings go bad they grind down the shaft to the point that it leans toward the center of the machine. AND Rubs on the U shaped area of the machine frame that holds it.... See my pictures of a worn gear AND the rub marks between the belt teeth and the plastic gear.

You can buy the bearings local and order just the big plastic gear to fix the gear box. OR order a new motor and gearbox.

When you order the parts.... to save on Shipping order Sand Paper Belts if you still use them, 1 board sensor, 2 FFC Cables and a few Cut Motor Brushes. Change the Cut Motor Brushes at 250 Cut Motor Hours.

Make sure you have the 14 Pin FFC Cable setup. Older machines have the old 18 pin so you don't plug a new 14 pin into a old 18 pin socket AND short out the computer.

Good Luck,

AL

wiwoods
06-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I decided the y motor shaft was shot as their was play (wobble in excess) and could not be adjusted. So I knowing it may be frustrating had to deal with Carvewright. I ordered a y motor pack from carvewright and when I opened the box I normally would have been disappointed but I just thought (that is the way carvewright rolls) they sent me a Z motor pack. one time sent my machine in to them and two weeks after they sent it back to me I called and told them I hadn't gotten it. After a couple more weeks they found they had sent it to Ohio and that after they got it back in Texas they would ship it to me in Wisconsin. just have not had much luck dealing with carvewright. Now am waiting to find out what they want to do about it.

lynnfrwd
06-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry, I hate to admit it, but we are human and make mistakes. I'm just sorry you had to experience it once; much less twice!

We are sending you the correct part.

As far as shipping to the wrong person, it should not have happened, but there are two of you with the same name.

Correction: there are FOUR of you!

wiwoods
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I am assuming that you have a lot of human errs there as I was told 3 hours ago that your supervisor was in a meeting and would be in contact with me immediately after she was out. I just assume you have a lot of human errs to discuss in the Monday morning meetings. I was told to send a picture of the wrong motor to verify that I received the wrong one. did it and when the phone rep looked at the picture he says I will show it to the supervisor to see what we can do? to see what you can do? So now I have to jump thru hoops or something to get a y motor?

lynnfrwd
06-27-2011, 01:05 PM
I wasn't told you were expecting a call from me, but I did deal with the issue as soon as I got out of the meeting. I am at lunch right nowbut can call when I get back.

lynnfrwd
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I called you back on both numbers I have for you and left a message in your voice mail box.

Digitalwoodshop
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
The Z Motor and Gear Box have a Drilled and Tapped Hole on top to match the Spring loaded screw to hold the Z Tention...

The Y gear box does not have that hole on top.... since the spring screw is on the far side of the bit plate.

I have moved the Z Gear Box to 3 different Y Motors in my years of carving... The 3 Z Motors were from Z Bundle Upgrades and I bought some used motors from Users.

IF you would have come here with the story about what you got in the mail, I would have recommended that you move the NEW Z Gear Box from the NEW Z Motor to the bad Y Motor and you would be back up and running AND you would have a spare Z or Y Motor.... In my years of repairing the machines and posting on the forum, I know of less than 6 actual BAD MOTORS.... I Burned one out when my FFC Cable Snagged and pulled out at a Down Angle UNDER POWER Shorting out the Motor. So with 2500 cut hours between machines.... 1 Motor...

BUT.... It is interchangeable with other Axis so a GOOD KEEPER... in my opinion.....

A Cheaper Fix from the start would have been to buy the Big Gear with Shaft that LHR sells and buy a 10 pack of Y Bearings.... Change them every time you change the Cut Motor Brushes.... You did order Cut Motor Brushes too.... Save on Future Shipping... Change at 250 Cut Motor Hours.... 5 Bucks....

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/5mm/kit768

The trick with this machine is to be PRO Active with the Repairs and Maintenance.... I changed 3 Y Gear Boxes as I let them go to the point that the shaft wore thin.... Took me 3 Gear Boxes to start making the recommendation of changing the bearings.... At first every 2 sets of Cut Motor Brushes but now recommend them at 250 hours with EACH Cut Motor set of Brushes... The Y takes the most ABUSE and new bearings take the tick tick tick out of the drive....

Good Luck,

AL

Same pictures as posted above.... But all are Z Gear Boxes.... Some used for the Y..... Parts is PARTS.....

You could use the Y Gear Box for the Z but there would not be a screw hole for the spring screw... But you could hold the tension then tighten the mounting screws.... Once the screws are snug the spring is useless.....

A GOOD Maintenance Routine of replacing the Y Bearings every 250 hours will pay big..... in Better Quality Carvings and less down time... PRO ACTIVE.....

wiwoods
06-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I called you back on both numbers I have for you and left a message in your voice mail box.

I had a nap and missed the calls. took my meds and a calm sleep came over me. Thank you for both attempts.

jaroot
06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
I think that sometimes we forget that this is not a fancy router, it's a robot that routes! As soon as I wrapped my head around that the "maintenance issues" became "maintenance shedule."

However ours is, I believe, a "B" type so we missed a lot of the fun.
(I have since found that our machine is an "A" type that has been upgraded.)

The trick with this machine is to be PRO Active with the Repairs and Maintenance......