PDA

View Full Version : length problem with project

rheal
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I am having a problem with the machine measuring the board length when preparing for a project.

I did a manual X calibration and put in the numbers 875.283
I measure the board and it measures the length as 38 inches +/-

I select my project which is 30 x 13 and when it measures it only measures the board as being 31 inches.

Can someone explain where the problem is?

fwharris
06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
are you telling it to stay under the rollers? If so the machine is taking away 7" from the measurement... Try doing it as "NO" to staying under the rollers...

rheal
06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I see that makes sense. I will give that a try. Thank You

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2011, 11:53 AM
3rd Post, WELCOME !!!!! Find the Tips and Tricks on the CarveWright Page and read up on all the tips we have found over the years of using the machine. The 7 inch Rule of Wood is explained as are Sleds and Carrier Boards for Frugal Use of Wood. It will point out all the Pilot Errors that we all learn over time. We were all new once.

Just to review what happened to you.... Your Designer Board Length and Physical Board Length was the same. You selected to Stay Under the Rollers. To do this, the machine asked you if it was OK to Scale your project down to subtract 7 inches from your physical board in order to stay under the rollers... 3.5 inches on each side.....

You really want to design projects to stay under the rollers and being held down by 2 rollers flat to the table. Only 1 roller and board can tip up and cause a depth change 3.5 inches from the end of the board OR SNAP A BIT if you are doing a Cut Path near the end of the board.

AL