PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor Error

Milanth
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I keep getting a board sensor error. I did the sensor test and it is only reading at 30 instead of 90. I got a mirror and looked. It looks like there is some dust under the cover. Can I loosen the cover and blow it out? Or do I have to order a new sensor?

DickB
06-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Definitely try cleaning it first. You should be able to find photos with search if you need help with this one.

Milanth
06-15-2011, 09:04 AM
i took a cuttip and put a little window cleaner on it and cleaned the linse. It worked for 2 carves then it started all over again. Can I loosen the screws to blow it out? That is what I need to know. I will try to do a search for it. Thanks.

DickB
06-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes, you can do that.

Milanth
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Okay I will go try it. I did do a search and got some good information. I will let you know if it works.

DickB
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
The part is a bit fragile. When I removed mine for cleaning for exactly the type of error you describe, it came out in pieces - a tab had broken off. I salvaged it by fabricating a simple aluminum bracket and it is still going strong 6 months later.

45180 45179

GrammaPam
06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
When I researched board sensor errors recently the easiest answer I found was "Board sensor error equals board problem." Just for the heck of it, check the board too.

I consider myself very unexperienced and really like easy answers.

G.P.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Board Sensor 101..... Since the ROCK Chuck and the CarveTite we have seen very few Board Sensor Problems Posted so a Review is in order....

The older QC's when worn Vibrate and the Vibration causes the LED's or Lights to snap off of the Board Sensor. Gluing the Boards to the black holder a LHR Fix really helped too...

So lets start with the Board Sensor Test. Since the Board Detector measures the reflected light off of the Board, then different color boards result in different numbers reading on the LCD. I came up with the White Copy Paper test... Since my White Paper and YOUR white paper are the same, that makes this a Standard Test.... My numbers should match YOUR numbers....

A board in the machine and a White paper ON the Board and the head Cranked Down on the Board you should get about a 156 for a LCD Board Sensor Reading. A 90 would indicate a dirty window OR 1 broken LED.

On the older non glued board sensors Dust would get inside the Lens... AND LED's would Snap Off....

MY recommendation is after finding a low reading and cleaning the outside of the lens is to Cut Down the back removing the flap in the back. This will expose the 2 LED's and 1 Photo Detector in the Center. The IR LED is like your TV Remote you can't see it....

When you cut down the back either one or two LED's will fall out or NOT... It is easy to pull and clean the window with the back removed. I used masking tape to cover the back catching the edge of the window. It is still working... See the Date...

If you pull the board sensor cable too hard you can make it slip down along the plastic cover of the channel and it can pinch and short out. When my cable was shorted it caused the Close cover error as it shorted out the data buss... No Z data either....

Good Luck,

AL

unitedcases
06-15-2011, 11:03 PM
I took the lens completely off of mine. The only time it affects anything is when you are doing a two sided carve just because it measures just a little off as to when it starts and stops. But the project size is still way intact. I too got tired of having to take it apart and clean it every 10 hours. I am sure that with dust collection it isnt a issue to keep it clean.

DickB
06-16-2011, 09:41 AM
The IR LED is like your TV Remote you can't see it....

A trick to check an IR LED is to view it on the screen of a digital camera or cell phone. The camera detects IR.

jaroot
06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Mine failed fairly early on in our CW adventure. We replaced it with a new one from LHR and have had no trouble with it since. We have also replaced the QC with a CT so I'm not sure if the new sensor is more rugged or if the CT just hasn't destroyed it yet. They are pretty cheap if you bundle it with other things in the order. I bought two and haven't used the second one yet. Maybe that's why it hasn't failed! <-insert smiley