PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 slots in MPC ended up being cut 5/16

cntbill
06-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I have to be missing something simple, just can't seem to find the answer.

With Designer I made a series of 1/4" slots about an 1/8" deep using rectangles, I changed the grid size to .25 to make it easy (for me) to position the rectangles and to be sure that they all were 1/4" wide. Cut the MPC on the machine and all the 1/4" slots cut to 5/16", depth was good. My actual board was larger than my virtual board so no scaling was used. Set to cut center, keep under rollers No. Finished project size came out correct except the slot widths.

So what am I overlooking and missing? I really don't believe I have to set the width of cut 1/16" smaller because I used the 1/16" bit... Since I am a complete nubie I figure it has to be something simple as I am slowing, it seems, learning the software, gone over the tutorials and don't see any reference there. I've been searching but can't seem to figure what the best search phrase is either.

I've attached the MPC if someone would like to check it out.

Thanks,

Bill...

bjbethke
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I have to be missing something simple, just can't seem to find the answer.

With Designer I made a series of 1/4" slots about an 1/8" deep using rectangles, I changed the grid size to .25 to make it easy (for me) to position the rectangles and to be sure that they all were 1/4" wide. Cut the MPC on the machine and all the 1/4" slots cut to 5/16", depth was good. My actual board was larger than my virtual board so no scaling was used. Set to cut center, keep under rollers No. Finished project size came out correct except the slot widths.

So what am I overlooking and missing? I really don't believe I have to set the width of cut 1/16" smaller because I used the 1/16" bit... Since I am a complete nubie I figure it has to be something simple as I am slowing, it seems, learning the software, gone over the tutorials and don't see any reference there. I've been searching but can't seem to figure what the best search phrase is either.

I've attached the MPC if someone would like to check it out.

Thanks,

Bill...

On a square your 1/8 inch bit cuts on the center of the line, you need to subtract 1/2 of the size of the bit to make it carve on the inside of the line.

CarverJerry
06-15-2011, 05:20 AM
Does the designer have a measuring function in it? I've been messing with this cad program that has one built into it, if designer doesn't maybe that would be something to put on the dream list for designer.

CJ

mtylerfl
06-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Hi Bill,

I noticed the slots are actually "Carve Regions". This means (as you know) that they will use the tapered 1/16th Carving Bit. The 7 degree taper of the carving bit is what is making your slots slightly oversize.

Instead of making the slots carve regions, make them a simple enclosed rectangle, manually assign the 1/8th cutting bit to cut your desired depth on the inside of the line. Then draw a series of closely-spaced lines within the rectangle to "hog out" the remaining material (again, manually assign the 1/8th cutting bit to your desired depth). This will give you a more accurate slot size as well as nice, straight walls for the slots.

cntbill
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi Bill,

I noticed the slots are actually "Carve Regions". This means (as you know) that they will use the tapered 1/16th Carving Bit. The 7 degree taper of the carving bit is what is making your slots slightly oversize.

Instead of making the slots carve regions, make them a simple enclosed rectangle, manually assign the 1/8th cutting bit to cut your desired depth on the inside of the line. Then draw a series of closely-spaced lines within the rectangle to "hog out" the remaining material (again, manually assign the 1/8th cutting bit to your desired depth). This will give you a more accurate slot size as well as nice, straight walls for the slots.

See. I knew it had to be something simple. I used the 1/16 bit figuring I would get a smoother cut forgetting about the taper... lol

Thanks All !

On a square your 1/8 inch bit cuts on the center of the line, you need to subtract 1/2 of the size of the bit to make it carve on the inside of the line.

1/2 the size... that makes sense to me...

Does the designer have a measuring function in it? I've been messing with this cad program that has one built into it, if designer doesn't maybe that would be something to put on the dream list for designer.

CJ

A simple line measuring function would be nice, the little blue numbers are hard for me to see, have to magnify which separates the numbers but they still stay the same size. I also use the tool bar that has the dimensions in it.

Digitalwoodshop
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
This has helped me a few times... Made a Sample Board form Dry Wood to act as a quick guide when I needed a slot. Use the board and look at the overlap in the .mpc. Allow for moisture... since the wood soaks up humidity and drys out changing the measurements. So it is just a guide.

This used the 3/8 inch bit.

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
CNTBILL
Did you know if you have a wheel on your mouse , you can zoom in on any area of your project to see it better.
later Daniel

blantz
06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Jerry,

I use the line segment tool to measure with. It works for me.

GrammaPam
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Would a straight line (centered) with the 1/4" ball nose bit work?
Just curious.
G.P.

cntbill
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
This has helped me a few times... Made a Sample Board form Dry Wood to act as a quick guide when I needed a slot. Use the board and look at the overlap in the .mpc. Allow for moisture... since the wood soaks up humidity and drys out changing the measurements. So it is just a guide.

This used the 3/8 inch bit.

AL

Al, Nice idea, Thanks for the guide, defiantly have to make one

CNTBILL
Did you know if you have a wheel on your mouse , you can zoom in on any area of your project to see it better.
later Daniel

Daniel, Yes one of the things I leaned right away when I was using the Apple Magic Mouse, I had to switch back to a wheel mouse, the Magic Mouse was to sensitive to touch. Once I learn the software better I'll switch back and try it again...

Would a straight line (centered) with the 1/4" ball nose bit work?
Just curious.
G.P.

I was thinking of that, but decided not to use it because I wanted a Flat bottom.

cntbill
07-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Just want to say THANKS to All for your replies and suggestions, sorry I haven't updated my progress sooner, but didn't get back to this project till a couple of days ago.

One of the things I ended up doing was using the 1/8" cutting bit instead of the carving bit and setting the grid size to 1/8" which helped as well for placement.

Attached is the final mpc just in case you would like to take a look.

Thanks again,

Bill....

mtylerfl
07-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Just want to say THANKS to All for your replies and suggestions, sorry I haven't updated my progress sooner, but didn't get back to this project till a couple of days ago.

One of the things I ended up doing was using the 1/8" cutting bit instead of the carving bit and setting the grid size to 1/8" which helped as well for placement.

Attached is the final mpc just in case you would like to take a look.

Thanks again,

Bill....

Hi Bill,

Glad you got that worked out. Your MPC looks great - very nice project!

I don't know if you already viewed the Tips & Tricks JAN 2011 video (link below), but it is geared for exactly this type of application.

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/videotips/jan11tips.php

cntbill
07-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Michael,

Thanks! That would have been the perfect tutorial for me to have watched before I started my project... very well done. Wow what I learned watching that would have saved me so much time... kick myself in the butt for not watching it sooner and now I have more ideas...lol I watched some of the tutorials and leaned quite a bit. I feel like a fool I didn't watch this sooner as I misunderstood the term pocket cuts, I was thinking "pocket cuts" were for joining using a biscuit cutter and biscuits... Little by little I am learning. Thanks again!