PDA

View Full Version : Using Patterns

gapdev
06-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Can somebody help me and shed some light on how some of the patterns are supposed to be used?

I want to carve various dogs (on separate projects) to give to neighbors and friends. I purchased all of Bud's patterns that relate to dogs.

I don't have a clue where to start.

Are these patterns supposed to be cut out, or are they used on plaques (which is probably what I want to do, but they would need a carve region or something, but Bud's patterns are pretty deep so perhaps they are not suited for this)?

My boards are generally 3/4" but Bud's patterns vary in depth, this one in particular is .795".

Here is one is particular

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20746&cat=0&page=1

Thanks for any insights,

Kenny

AskBud
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Can somebody help me and shed some light on how some of the patterns are supposed to be used?

I want to carve various dogs (on separate projects) to give to neighbors and friends. I purchased all of Bud's patterns that relate to dogs.

I don't have a clue where to start.

Are these patterns supposed to be cut out, or are they used on plaques (which is probably what I want to do, but they would need a carve region or something, but Bud's patterns are pretty deep so perhaps they are not suited for this)?

My boards are generally 3/4" but Bud's patterns vary in depth, this one in particular is .795".

Here is one is particular

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20746&cat=0&page=1

Thanks for any insights,

Kenny

Hello Kenny,
I try to make my patterns as comprehensive/deep as I can, so the user may apply as they wish. There is no need to actually keep the carve as deep as the pattern allows. It just provides you more options.
Since they are only the one view, you don't have a back side to make a complete figurine. However, they lend themselves to a variety of uses.

Many may set up a design with the pattern within a carve area as you are considering.
I like making Welcome plaques out of many designs. Usually, the person asking for the plaque has an idea of how they wish the project to look (I do guide them through the process, even giving them several pics of options). Sometime they may want several items on the same design. yes, in some cases they may wish just the pattern carved, where they may wish to hang that item.

I have also donated plaques to local businesses, as a way to advertise. A Pharmacy design for a Drug Store, a handyman theme for the hardware store and so on.

The attached welcome plaque was requested by a back yard neighbor.
AskBud45155

gapdev
06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Bud,

That plaque you show is pretty much what I want to try to do on my first carve - 2 Brussels Griffons facing each other since my neighbor has 2 of them.

I'll start working on it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

Kenny

mtylerfl
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi Bud,

That plaque you show is pretty much what I want to try to do on my first carve - 2 Brussels Griffons facing each other since my neighbor has 2 of them.

I'll start working on it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

Have you had the opportunity to read through the Tips & Tricks yet? (the link is below my signature)

There is a Tips & Tricks that explains placing a pattern in a style that Bud showed you. Here is the link (the process is explained and illustrated on page 2):

ISSUE 3 December 2007 – Handy Tips for Everyone! (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

gapdev
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Michael,

I was just getting ready to flip through the Tips & Tricks and that looks like the one I need!

Will give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Kenny

mtylerfl
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi Michael,

I was just getting ready to flip through the Tips & Tricks and that looks like the one I need!

Will give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Kenny

Sounds great, Kenny! Please don't hesitate to search the forum for answers to any questions that may come up along the way. If you can't find an answer, post your question and you will find plenty of help here!

I'm working on the 2011 series of the Tips & Tricks and hope to release those soon. In the meantime, you'll have plenty of reading already to keep you busy! <grin>