PDA

View Full Version : Patterns for Boat Signs

carrothers
06-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Does anyone have patterns for boat signs. Sometimes they are called "quarterboards"..usually around 36 inches long and 5-6 inches high. I've searched the pattern store to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Kenm810
06-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I've carved a bunch in the past -- loads of fun to play around with.
If this is something like your looking for,
Here's one I just made up as an example -- Plus a few of photos I found

carrothers
06-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Ken, I like you quarterboard sign. I pulled up your mpc file on it and have a few questions. Would you put this in a sled and add 3.5 on each end and 1 inch on the width? I would think there would have to be a cut path around the ends before it could be routed; but I didn't see any cut path in your mpc file. I've never used my CW to route edges so this will be a new experience...but still am unsure of how the CW router wouldd get a "toe-hold" unless there was a cut path first. What am I missing?

b.sumner47
06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure that the letters and numbers have to be at least 3in in hieght,also they have to be readible at, I'm not sure of the distanst away from the vessel. I would hate to see someone make a beatiful sign and get a ticket. Safe Boating and a Fair Tide. Capt Barry

TerryT
06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Here are a few we have. They can be seen at
http://www.uniquegiftsofwood.com/Nautical.htm

Kenm810
06-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I do about 95% of my carving on Sleds or Carrier Boards
with 4" fillers at both ends to stay under the Pressure Rollers.
On this sign I used the "vector arc shape" as both my Cut and Edge Rout Path.
I also at times, do a lot of the edge routing after the sign is cut out
on my Router Table to save run time on my Machines Cut Motor.

carrothers
06-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Ken, on your sled or carrier board for something like this quarterboard do you put anything on the sides? or just the 4" on each end?
Sorry to be so inquisitive; but I'm still trying to learn and you guys are great instructors.

Kenm810
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
If the Pattern, Text, or Graphics, are at least 5/8" in from the Side Edges there will be enough stock for the Pressure Rollers to ride on,
and I won't need Side Rails, but if there is any doubt, or the Carving/Cutting Bits are going to carve to close to the Edge or Brass Tracking Sensor
I add Side Rails to stay on the safe-side.

Icutone2
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Ken, I like your sign. I should make one for my shop for when pay day comes around.
Thanks Lee