PDA

View Full Version : *.sws vice on my skull

Z-clip
06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Does anyone know of a utility to convert .sws to .stl?

Thanks

-Z-

mtylerfl
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks

-Z-

I've never heard of that filetype (sws) before. What program produces that?...and, is it a 3D format?

TerryT
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
The only sws format that I'm aware of is video, mp4, mov? Or did you mean SWF?

jlovchik
06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
The .sws is a STL importer working file, much like the .mpw is to pattern editor. It is for saving a file you are slicing in order to go back to it and change it or finish it later. To get the .sws file into STL or into pattern files (PTN), you simply complete the slicing and proceed to the next window where you choose your save mode (STL, Favorites, or Pattern).

mtylerfl
06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
The .sws is a STL importer working file, much like the .mpw is to pattern editor. It is for saving a file you are slicing in order to go back to it and change it or finish it later. To get the .sws file into STL or into pattern files (PTN), you simply complete the slicing and proceed to the next window where you choose your save mode (STL, Favorites, or Pattern).

Thanks, Joe! I knew that...but... Stupid me...it didn't even occur to me about the CarveWright STL Importer native format. Thought it was some kind of weird "external" file created elswhere. More coffee, please...might wake me up!

mtylerfl
06-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks

-Z-

So...in answer to your question, you open the sws file by clicking on "Resume Session" when starting up the STL Importer, select your sws file and proceed as Joe mentioned above.

Z-clip
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the assistance folks. After going over it again, I saw the export STL option in PE. I think I tried it a couple times & got the GUI.EXE error. After having worked with graphics programs throughout the 90's, my natural reaction was to go find a utility that would do what I want. It often escapes me to check the forums for how others are ""dealing with it".

Ref; http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?18169-quot-gui.exe-quot-problem

Sadly, I'm still getting the GUI.EXE error at exactly 93% STL conversion. Even after having gone so far as to uninstall the software, reinstall as admin, and launch as admin. I'm not sure what my next step is, but currently I'm ruminating on the seemingly deliberate nature of the universe.

"This isn't an office, it's hell with fluorescent lights"
-Z-

fwharris
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Possibly caused by your favorites file is to large. If you have a lot of patterns loaded into designer they take up memory from the software. You might try exporting/deleting some to see if it helps..

Z-clip
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
@ fwharris

Awesome!!! apparently there was a copy of my scan in there, I'm figuring that it was my first attempt to make a STL, and was probbably at full resolution. I deleted that, and cut my resolution down to half, and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the help.

-Z-