PDA

View Full Version : Wires coming out of old Z-truck

Dan-Woodman
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm replacing my old "A" machine Z-truck with the CT spindle assembly.
Question-- What needs to be done with the old wires coming out the back of the old Z-truck? I know I can unplug it from the circuit board , but does anything else need to be done.
I know part of this is the old jack for the probe, but there also appears to be what looks like an RPM sensor with a flat spot on the spindle shaft.
Thanks for the help
later Daniel

TerryT
06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
On the old A machines like mine, there is (was) a circuit board, cable and plugin for the probe. Now with the probe plugging into the side of the machine all of it is no longer used. In fact I would be surprised if the circuit board isn't broken anyway (mine was). I would suggest just removing it all. I removed all of that stuff from my machine about 3 years ago. Don't leave the small cable in as it will eventually get stuck in the belt and cause a Z stall. Having said that, don't forget the board sensor is on the bottom of the Y truck and needs to remain.

Dan-Woodman
06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Terry
Do you think that there is an RPM sensor there also,as there is a flat spot on the spindle and a little tiny circuit board part pointing at it. The flat spot on the spindle was also painted.
later Daniel

TerryT
06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
I dont think so. The Speed sensor is on the cut motor.

Digitalwoodshop
06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes, there "was" a speed sensor inside the Z Truck.... It was a fail safe to measure the speed at the Z Truck and compare it to the Cut Motor looking for a failed Flex Shaft. Gone....

Dan, Did you need to unplug the top end of that cable? Just wondering if you still have the old 16 pin FFC Cable System?

AL

Pic 1 The New Z Circuit board with the 14 pin FFC Cable jack and NO jack for the Z Truck Cable.

Pic 2 The Old Z Circuit board with the 18 pin FFC Cable.... Note the jack for the Z Truck Data... And it is 18 pin not 16 pin... A Very long senior moment.... Before I was corrected....

Pic 3 the old Z Circuit Board.

Dan-Woodman
06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Al
Thanks for the reply. My machine is an origanal from '06. Only thing I've done was change the power supply board years ago,( before they knew it was the chuck problem) and then repaired it several months ago.
I did order an FFC cable . Does that need to be changed with the new z-truck?
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
06-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Daniel,

Look at the Z Truck pictures close and if you have the 18 pin FFC Cable when you ordered the FFC Cable from LHR they most likely sent you a 14 pin NEW FFC Cable. So look close... If you put a new 14 pin cable in a old 18 pin jack the wider pins will short out the $300.00 computer.

So it depends on when you bought it and did the LHR Tech ask you if you had a new or old FFC.....

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Al
As I mentioned earlier , I have an origanal machine from 2006 . So it sounds like I might have the old FFC cable. I would be guessing that I should change the FFC cable when it arrives. What about where the FFC cable plugs in on both ends , is there anything that needs to be changed with the fittings?
Maybe I should call LHR tech support ?
They didn't ask , I talked to mary in accounting.

I just checked , I do have the 18 pin cable,but mine has a black plastic cover over that circuit board that the FFC cable goes through first and plugs into bare wires sticking out of the circuit board.

I just e-mailed LHR . Maybe the solution is just to unplug the Z-truck and nothing else. My 18 pin cable has caused no problems as of now .
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Well GOOD to know you have the 18 pin FFC....

They offered a New Z Bundle. It changed the Z Motor with the new Circuit Board, gave you the 14 Pin FFC Cable, and gave you the Circuit board that goes on the other end. Later they were just giving the circuit board that goes on the Z Motor and the Cable and the other Circuit Board. The big change with the New Z Motor was 1. Shorter cooling fins to be less likely to get caught in the Right Side Cover Switch Wires. and 2 they added protection around the Z Motor Wires as seen in my photo.

So remember if you put a 14 pin FFC Cable in the 18 pin circuit board then Smoke will result.... It is possible you have a 18 pin FFC Cable..... they did sell them.... when I needed one they were selling the new Z Bundle.... Way WAY back in 2007 or so.... the date will be on the pictures I will post.

There are some that have had GOOD Luck with the 18 pin FFC Cable.... The difference is that many of us had Z Stalls.... The Thinner Wires sometimes just did not pass enough current to power the motor.... or broke easily and the Encoder Data would go blank and the head would keep driving into the board waiting for the Encoder Pulse that would never come..... Like that Star Trek Movie.... the Antenna Wire broken on the V'Ger Probe.... Couldn't Call home.....

In my opinion the 18 pin FFC Cable is like AAA Batteries and the 14 pin thicker FFC Cable is like D batteries... Able to pass more current or PUSH.... But that is just MY Opinion..... I have been told a few times that "MY"18 pin FFC Cable is STILL working..... "Back Off Jack"... LOL..

And it is a 18 pin not a 16 pin cable as in the pictures.... a Senior Moment.... Not sure what LHR offers now for the conversion.... Both Motors will work....

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Very good information Al
I got a reply back from LHR e-mail.
They say I do need to replace two circuit boards with the new 14 pin FFC.
One is the Z-motor electronic board assembly, the other is the Head termination electronic board assembly (reconditioned).
Along with the 14 pin FFC cable.
I received my parts yesterday. I'll have to call and order the two circuit boards next.
I ordered a RPM sensor for the "check cut motor" alarm. What they sent was a tiny circuit board. I was thinking it should be a magnet that goes on the shaft of the motor. Any thoughts on this.
later Daniel

bergerud
06-11-2011, 08:33 AM
There is a magnet on the shaft of the motor. The small circuit board senses the magnet pulses with, what I suppose is, a Hall effect sensor.

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Correct.... A Magnet on the Motor Shaft... Since you have the 2006 model then you most likely Don't have the new magnet retainer... The early magnets were held in place by heat shrink... I tried to repair one with no luck. The Plastic Retainer slides over the shaft holding the magnet... The Tech should have realized you had a 2006 machine and sold you the plastic retainer..... Your magnet is in the Fling Pot.....

Look at the dates on the pictures. The first black shrink is the early version. I also used TOO much Molly Flex Lube....

AL

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2011, 10:41 AM
More Pictures when they came out with the retainer.

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys, thats what I need , the magnet. I 'll have to call Monday. Do you recall the price ?
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Last I knew about 5 bucks.

AL

fwharris
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
They have a new one out now with the magnet built into the retainer. The magnet is an outer ring on the retainer. They have gone to this to help reduce the possible heat effect on the magnet making it less magnatized... I think that's how you say it...lol

Digitalwoodshop
06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I am WAY behind in the innovations.... I did not get the memo from LHR.... Addressed to AL who? LOL.....

Yes, Heat does reduce the magnetic field over time....

Speaking of off the wall stuff... Was Watching a TV Show on the dust bowl years and they showed the blowing dust causing static electricity to build up on cars and any metal... The video showed a guy walking under a wire and getting zapped.... And a Wind Mill arcing between parts..... Makes me rethink that Toyota Car problem that Static between parts of the car was the blame for run away fly by wire cars...... Send it to Toyota and they said "Thanks" we will look into it....

Too bad LHR does not have a read only thread to list new Innovations like this magnet.... Lets us old timers decide to buy new parts for our old machines....

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-15-2011, 10:38 AM
OK, guys , here's the latest from LHR.
I told them you guys had supplied the part #, price and description of the retainer and magnet. The kid I talked to said he talked with some tech or somebody , and this part is only an "in house" part. It is not sold to customers.
Sounds like there taking the " Sears" approach and instead of selling you the $5.00 part, they want to sell you a new $180.00 part when the old one is still good.
I think when someone orders a new CT spindle they should ask some questions and let customers know they need to change the FFC,and two circuit boards. Better yet , they should put an upgrade pachage of parts together with everything needed to change old machines into updated ones.
just ranting a little
later Daniel

Dan-Woodman
06-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Update
I got my two new circuit boards and installed.
Replaced brushes. Found magnet in fling pot , epoxied it back in place and covered with heat shrink. It did not stop CCM ALARM .

Digitalwoodshop
06-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Even I get the CCM with the first bit of some mpc's..... As long as the magnet is working, as in you get pulses in a sensor check then the cut motor won't go into full speed open loop mode. With my CCM the cut motor us usually going too slow before it fails with a CCM in the first 30 seconds of a first bit of the project.

Good Job on the Epoxy and Heat Shrink.

AL

Dan-Woodman
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Cross your fingers and toes that it holds together.
later Daniel