PDA

View Full Version : Wood Templates

Cliff
01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I've found that you can add different types of wood to the software work space. Locate a sample of wood from the WEB or take a digital photograph of what you have in stock. With a graphics program, I use PhotoShop, convert the graphic to 512 by 512 pixels at 72 dpi then save it with the name of the wood, (Maple_Natural) as an example. This can be placed into the carvewright/wood1 folder and will now show up under the board properties. If you have one that you have stained use the plus sign to indicate a stain option (Oak_Light+Walnut or Oak_Dark+Walnut) depending on how light or dark you stained it. So far I've added a few like cedar, maple, and cottonwood but I don't know the size limits of the folder.
Have Fun.

BobHill
01-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Cliff,

You might up the resolution of your photo image to 128ppi instead of 72 for a better carving and set the depth to 0.125 or less, depending upon the subject matter of the photo.

Bob

Cliff
01-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks but the specs are for the drawing board not the drawing. I found this by looking at the wood samples in the woods1 directory. Again the 72dpi and 512 pixels are just for the work space not the carvings.

BobHill
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
My bad, Cliff. After reading your post more carefully I do see that you are talking about the view in Designer as seen on the screen and that does have nothing to do with the carving.

Bob

Greybeard
01-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Now, if you could tell me how to get a two colour effect, background and raised carving different eg a painted sign. you'ld make me a very happy designer :D

John

Cliff
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Here is a zipped copy of my current woods1 folder with defaults.

dcozort
01-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks cliff ...... Those are awsom I opened both your wood file as well as mine and dragged your file over worked perfect they look really good... We need more guys like you..... now find us a ton of patterns :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya got to do some designing

Ron Smith
01-18-2007, 06:45 AM
now find us a ton of patterns

I've been using some wallpaper textures from www.grsites.com and have had some luck. Most are too small to work with, or the clarity isn't what I'd like, but with some tweaking in Photoshop or Corel, they look pretty good. Take a look and see if you can use some.

Ron