PDA

View Full Version : Blank Scree Readout - Power Supply?

tcough3475
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
About half way through a 3 hour carve today, my screen went blank and the carving stopped (not sure if in that order or not, wasn't watching). After powering it off then on, I was able to start carving again, but it happened again, but this time much sooner. I check the forum and saw Al's post about laying the machine on it's back and as well as thumping it a time or two, and when I did, the screen returned to the project menu.

I guess it's an indication that the power supply is bad or going out, but is there a way to test it to be sure before I order a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Tracy

fwharris
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Tracey,

So a search on L-2 from Al's posts. It sounds like the connectioin or wire lead is broken..

Digitalwoodshop
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Yep !!!! Sounds like a classic L2 needs to be soldered...... I won't post the pictures again as they are in so many posts....

Find someone with Circuit Board Experience and show them the pictures. If it is broken, it is broken below the surface of the board where it is bent over.

AL

AskBud
06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
This post about the L2 Coil may be what you need to see.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15052-Stopped-mid-project&p=126601#post126601

Sallen1215
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I had the same problem and i found an electronics repair shop, cost me 10 bucks for the guy to put a new L2 line filter on, then i glued it down with shoe goo and haven't had a problem since, Al knows what he is talking about and its well worth the repair.

Stephen

liquidguitars
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
I would also check for a loose flash card, check for dust in the pins an re-flash the project.

tcough3475
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
So Al what your telling me is that as long as the CC is laying on it's back, it will probably be OK. With that in mind, what do you think about bolting it to my garage wall, back side toward the floor, and running projects through it? Now that I think about it, this may also significantly help with the whole dust collection issue as well. I could just mount a floor sweep below it too. ;-)

Tracy

Digitalwoodshop
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Great Idea... It is the Gravity that pushes the coil back down into the hole... solder is better....

AL

drsprky
01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Al Who, I see you're a senior member and I've read some of your posts, so I'm thinking you might answer my question. I've posted it a couple times and not gotten an answer. Please. I need to know before I commit to buying a machine. Here it is. Can I run the thing on a generator? How big a generator do I need to use? Is it okay to plug both the CW and Jet dust collector into the generator and run them together? I don't have a generator yet. I intend to buy one that'll be sufficient for the CW/Jet operation and, separately, my planer and other high-draw machines. To put gas in a generator is, I'm sure, more economical than running the CW for hours at a time on the house current. Oh. If you could also adress static issues in your reply, I'd sure apreciate that, too. Thanks. My name is Mark. I live in Whittier, CA.

lynnfrwd
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
So Al what your telling me is that as long as the CC is laying on it's back, it will probably be OK. With that in mind, what do you think about bolting it to my garage wall, back side toward the floor, and running projects through it? Now that I think about it, this may also significantly help with the whole dust collection issue as well. I could just mount a floor sweep below it too. ;-)

Tracy

That's funny stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynnfrwd
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Al Who, I see you're a senior member and I've read some of your posts, so I'm thinking you might answer my question. I've posted it a couple times and not gotten an answer. Please. I need to know before I commit to buying a machine. Here it is. Can I run the thing on a generator? How big a generator do I need to use? Is it okay to plug both the CW and Jet dust collector into the generator and run them together? I don't have a generator yet. I intend to buy one that'll be sufficient for the CW/Jet operation and, separately, my planer and other high-draw machines. To put gas in a generator is, I'm sure, more economical than running the CW for hours at a time on the house current. Oh. If you could also adress static issues in your reply, I'd sure apreciate that, too. Thanks. My name is Mark. I live in Whittier, CA.

You need a consistent current. Nothing can draw down the power. Al can answer in more depth, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
As for mounting the CW on a wall to keep the L2 in place.... Better to get it soldered...

As for running the CW on a Generator.... I would plan for the CW to draw 15 Amps to start up. Then you have the Generator that would need to have another 15 to 20 Amps to run the Dust Collector... If you started the dust collector after the bit change then the draw would not effect the CW. If the CW was cutting then the start up draw of the dust collector could cause a CW Stall... Forget to start dust collector when cutting... lift cover stop machine and start dust collector... and restart the CW... Yes, I believe it will work..... Just get the best Generator you can.....

And I would run a Ground wire from the CW Frame to the Dust Collector Frame. The CW is a 2 wire plug and the dust collector is a 3 wire plug. The 3 wire plug will ground everything to the Generator. Don't cut the Ground Lug off the dust collector plug.

Good Luck,

AL