PDA

View Full Version : Error E04-0293

waynedazey
06-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I just had to replace my QC Chuck and upon replacing it the machine began to scan the board for the project that is 14 5/8" Wide. While measuring the length of the board which is 67" it began to stutter back and forth rapidally until I pressed Stop and it displayed Error E04-0293. I should also say that while tighteningthe piece down the racheting capability seems to have been lost? Any Ideas what is going on? Please help!!!

I should say that the QC Chuck broke on this board just under a week ago so it has scanned and ran before!?!

unitedcases
06-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Sounds like the tracking roller is losing contact with the board. Use should use tape under the board on the keypad side, this gives the tracking roller something to bite into.

waynedazey
06-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Sounds like the tracking roller is losing contact with the board. Use should use tape under the board on the keypad side, this gives the tracking roller something to bite into.
Any suggestions on the type of tape?

AJ-1
06-04-2011, 12:01 AM
plain old masking tape. I use it on all carves regardless of the surface. Just put a strip on the bottom of the board all accross the side where the keypad is. It helps to track on the brass roller you can see between the sandpaper or rubber belts. This is what the computer uses to tell where the board is and for taking measurements.

Deolman
06-04-2011, 01:26 AM
With a board that length, it is possible the weight that is extended is lifting the other end up. You may need some additional supports on each end. Have you used a bathroom scale to check head pressure? It should be around 80 pounds. The board is not twisted, warped or cupped is it? There are a couple of things to get you started.

waynedazey
06-04-2011, 01:33 AM
I actually built a complete roller stand for the machine 44946 Just because of this project being so big and the board is only out of square by 1/32 and it doesn't appear to be cupped or twisted. BUT it is not a plained board per client request.

Deolman
06-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/contactus.htm)

That is the message I get when following your link.

AskBud
06-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I just had to replace my QC Chuck and upon replacing it the machine began to scan the board for the project that is 14 5/8" Wide. While measuring the length of the board which is 67" it began to stutter back and forth rapidally until I pressed Stop and it displayed Error E04-0293. I should also say that while tighteningthe piece down the racheting capability seems to have been lost? Any Ideas what is going on? Please help!!!

I should say that the QC Chuck broke on this board just under a week ago so it has scanned and ran before!?!
From the book: http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Maintenence/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf
E04 - X axis stall
Description of Issue
An “X-Axis Stall” will happen when the machine is not able to move the board in and out of
the machine when commanded.
Possible Causes
An “X-Axis Stall” can result from excessive head pressure, rolled up sandpaper belts, a
wedged board, a board that has a significant thickness taper to it, a gear set that has too much
slop in it, a slow running cut motor, or a gear set that is out of alignment.
Troubleshooting Steps
1. Check to see that the sandpaper belts are not rolled up. This will have the same effect as
the varying thickness board. This is almost always the case so double check it.
2. Check to see that the board you were carving was not wedged in the machine (it will
wedge if the width of the board varies significantly along its length). Do this by slightly
cranking up the head and moving the board in and out of the machine along its length
looking to see if it wedges between the squaring plate and the sliding plate.
3. Check to see that the board you were carving does not vary in thickness over its length. If
it does it will wedge between the upper compression rollers and the belt drives and
overload the X gears.
4. Check that the head pressure is between 75 to 85 lbs. If the head pressure is lower than 75
lbs or higher than 85 lbs, it could well make the x-gears to stripe or brake. Please see the
“Checking the Head Pressure” document on the CarveWright website for continued
troubleshooting of this issue.
5. Check the spacing of the metal gear on the X belt drives. When the machine is apart to
replace the X gears make sure that the spacing on the metal drive gear attached to the belt
LHR Technologies, Inc. CarveWright™ Troubleshooting Guide (Rev 1.07) 05/10/11 51
tray roller is correctly spaced out from the end of the tray. You can see instructions for
checking this in the document titled “Replacing the Sandpaper Drive Belts”. In place of
the spacer mentioned in that document use a stacked penny and dime.
6. Verify that the cut motor is not getting bogged down or stopping during the project. If the
bit is not cutting it will cause increased force on the gears.
7. If none of the above steps solves the issue consult CarveWright.
AskBud

waynedazey
06-04-2011, 09:49 AM
44950the attachment is a pcture of my stand that I built for this project

unitedcases
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Another thing I would check is the aux rollers on top. Sometimes dust will get packed in on the keypad side and the sensor wont click quite correctly. Just loosen the roller a bit and blow the dust out.

waynedazey
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Alright, I just rejointed the board, Placed tape on the board tracking sensor edge of the project piece, cleaned the entire Carvewright, greased the all thread pieces and four guide post.
Now I am having issues that the clutch on the crank handle is no longer working, and when running a simple sensor check with the head up the front compression roller shows to be released but back is showing compressed. I believe that is what is causing the machine to think that the board tracking sensor is failing? Gimme some advise here please.. Ya'll have been great and so far these forums have proved to be my favorite part of the carvewright (I really like the CW when it works)

b.sumner47
06-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Lift the top up as far as it will go, be careful not to jam top up.Take hold of the rear roller and push up and down,as you are doing this try and blow the end of the roller clean,this being on the computer side. Good luck. Capt Barry

dougmsbbs
06-05-2011, 12:38 PM
The compression roller not showing released is normally caused by sawdust getting into the switch. As unitedcases said, loosen it up a bit and blow it out. The switch is on the keypad side of the machine, at the end of the roller.
As far as the crank not working, did you crank it all the way up when you where cleaning out the machine? If so, there is a hole in the threaded rod of the right side of the machine that you can get a allen wrench or small screw driver into to turn it. Start it down that way until the crank starts working again.

waynedazey
06-05-2011, 03:35 PM
No I am referring to the clutch that releases when you have applied enough downward force just before you apply the red safety handle...
The back roller issue was a result of sawdust I have 109Hrs on my machine and this is the first time it has done that. Thank you for your help!

waynedazey
06-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Alright I just changed the qc chuck and took every piece of advise that has been given to date! NOW the machine keeps saying clear board sensor. I have cleaned the edge sensor with air, vaccuum, and alcohol, yet still clear board sensor edge sensor error??????????????

What next????

AskBud
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Alright I just changed the qc chuck and took every piece of advise that has been given to date! NOW the machine keeps saying clear board sensor. I have cleaned the edge sensor with air, vaccuum, and alcohol, yet still clear board sensor edge sensor error??????????????

What next????

Please Clear Board Sensor Message

Description of Issue

This error appears when the sensor used to find the edges of the workpiece is not seeing reading
within its operational limits. The sensor system consists of an infrared LED and an infrared
detector. The board sensor works by reflecting infrared light off of the board and reading the
intensity of the reflection. When the board is underneath the sensor, the reflected intensity is
high and when the sensor is off the edge of the board, the intensity is low. The LED and detector
are mounted behind a clear window in a plastic case at the bottom of the horizontal moving YTruck.

Possible Causes

There are several reasons why the machine will prompt the user to “Clear Board Sensor”
including:
1. There is dust obscuring the sensor lens.
2. There is dust piled in the machine to the right of the board that looks like a continuation of
the board to the sensor.
3. There are existing features on the workpiece, like holes or other carved features, which
prevent the sensor from tracking the top surface.
4. The material is too transparent or reflective.
5. The board is positioned incorrectly in the machine; usually the board is installed on top of
the squaring plate instead of up against it. It will also give this error if the board is placed
in the middle of the machine and not slid up against the strongback.
6. The environmental temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Troubleshooting Steps

The following steps only touch on the most likely causes of this issue. For an in-depth
troubleshooting procedure please consult the detailed trouble shooting document titled “Please
Clear Board Sensor”
1. Clean the Board Sensor. The most common reason for this issue to occur is that the sensor
is obscured by dust. To clean, simply blow low-pressure compressed air (<80 psi) onto the
sensor window or wipe with a clean cloth. It is recommended that this sensor be cleaned
after every project. If using pressurized canned air make sure to keep the can vertical. If
the can is tipped upside down it will eject a stream of freezing liquid instead of air. This
will usually damage the sensor.
2. Verify that the temperature is above 40oF.
3. Verify that the board is pushed up against the squaring plate and not riding on top of it.
4. Check to see that there is no dust piled on the squaring plate that may trick the sensor.
5. Verify that there are no existing features on the workpiece, like holes or other carved
features, which trick the sensor into thinking that it has found the edge and preventing it
from seeing the entire top surface of the board. Use masking tape to hide these features
from the sensor.
6. Verify that the material is not too transparent or reflective. Since the sensor works by
using reflected light to determine the board edge, any material that is very light in color or
LHR Technologies, Inc. CarveWright™ Troubleshooting Guide (Rev 1.07) 05/10/11 13
very dark in color cause it to get a reading that is out of its normal limits. This can be fixed
by placing a piece of masking tape on the surface of the workpiece along the line that the
sensor traces while measuring. This generally requires placing tape across the width and
length of the workpiece.
7. If the board sensor error cannot be resolved by doing the above checks you will need to
check the sensor readings directly to see if it is working properly. To check the status of
the board edge sensor, go to the CarveWright Main Menu->Configuration->Sensor Check
menu. Use the arrow keys to find the item titled “Board Sensor” on the bottom line of the
display. Do the following checks:
a. Load a pine or similar colored board, lower the head, and check the reading
displayed on the LCD when the sensor is over the board. Anything reading over 90
is acceptable. Anything under 90 requires a new sensor.
b. Check the reading displayed on the LCD when the sensor is not over a board by
moving the cutting head all the way to the left. The correct reading should be less
than 10 and ideally 0.
c. Raise the head, so that a small board can be easily place underneath the Board
Sensor. Move it up and down so as to cause the Board Sensor reading to go greater
than 50. Quickly remove it from under the sensor. The reading should drop
immediately to less than 10 and ideally 0. If it does not drop immediately the
sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced.
8. If none of the above steps solves the issue consult CarveWright and the detailed trouble
shooting document titled “Please Clear Board Sensor”.

The above is from this PDF:
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/service/Maintenence/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf
AskBud

unitedcases
06-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Fine dust will build up in the lens where the board sensor is under the Z-truck. Every now and again you have to remove it and clean it out. If you have to remove the lens you can find a piece of flat clear plastic, i.e. like what toys are wrapped, that type of packaging, and cut a new piece. I usually save a old battery packs and use the flat plastic off the backs of those. After you clean just put a small amount of superglue on the edge to reseat and readhere it and screw it back on and you should be good to go. You also have to look and what kind of wood you are using. If you are using dark wood I believe, (and I could have it backwards), it will give you that error as well.

Digitalwoodshop
06-09-2011, 05:21 AM
I am jumping into this at the end but wanted to add a few things.....

Yes, the Rollers have a direct effect on the Board Sensor. Depending on the Direction of board movement the board letting the roller release is a computer trigger for the board sensor to start looking for the board edge. Sort of a Electronic "Get Ready" to LOOK.... So if a roller never releases then the board sensor will not start to look.

The roller not releasing properly can be a loose screw on the under side of the machine that goes into the 4 smooth rails. This is for a board measuring problem where the distance is about 1/4 inch of movement. I have had this on my machine.

Now for a roller not releasing when the head is cranked away from the board can be packed sawdust in and on the flat metal plate with 2 screws into it. In my picture I backed off the screws and blew the sawdust out.

As for the Red Locking Lever.... I have not used it in over 3 years and I have over 1000 hours on 2 of my 4 machines. Not needed.... Overkill..... Yes, a good in Theory Idea but the jacking screws don't rotate by vibration and the length of the sleeve bearings on the 4 smooth rails don't let the head twist... So no, not needed...

In the shop at 6 AM.... Going to be a HOT day.....

AL

jaroot
06-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Al

I also rarely use the red lever. Mostly because I have a dust collector that obscures my vision of it so I simple don't remember to use it. No problems so far.

liquidguitars
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I get this error 2 one thing that i have noticed if you have a lot of x play in the rollers the sensor will not hook into the key and it will never work, this is the status of my newly rebuilt machine from LHR.