PDA

View Full Version : A little help PLEASE!!!!

woodchip
06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
My new machine w/carve tight on it seemes to heat up ( the part tha6t holds the bit) within 1/2 hr of use. The cable has been coated with molly and stays pretty cool so far.Is this a dangerous condition and what do I do? There is less than 5 hr on the machine. Also when I put in a piece of wood 16 in + 6 in to keep under the head, it measures 14.91 in.
Thanks fo raqny and all help.
Don

fwharris
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Don,

LHR and others have stated that the CT will be warmer than normal for a while until the bearings get broke in. Have you been able to measure the temp?

What does your 16x6 board measure when you do just the "measure board" function?

woodchip
06-04-2011, 11:45 AM
The board is 22 in. long by 9.25 the machine tells me its 14.91 in. long.
I am unable to measure the temp. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on it. Do you think I should spray some molly in it? I'm not sure if it would help.
don

SteveEJ
06-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Check this out from Harbor Freight. If you watch their sales you can get it cheaper. Lots of us have one of these for keeping track of the temps in the CW..

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

Also, Put some masking tape along the edge of the board that makes contact with the brass roller and measure it again. Let us know the results..

Edit: I would NOT spray any lube in it right now. Let it break in first.

woodchip
06-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Thanks Steve, Right now I'm 70% into a 2 hr carve (my first home made pattern) and now I have been getting power flux msg.(4x now). I,ve checked for loose conections, different power drainers (nothing else is hooked up to that circut). What a day.... any advise I could use would be greatly excepted.
Don

fwharris
06-04-2011, 02:34 PM
The board is 22 in. long by 9.25 the machine tells me its 14.91 in. long.
I am unable to measure the temp. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye on it. Do you think I should spray some molly in it? I'm not sure if it would help.
don

Ok, I am seeing a 7" difference in your measurement! Are you telling the machine to "stay under the rollers"? That would be my best guess... When you tell it to stay under the rollers the machine will subtract 3.5" for each end.

Steve is right on about NOT lubing the bearings. Here is a little less expensive thermometer also at HF http://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html

Power fluctuation: From the troubleshooting guide http://www.carvewright.com/service/Maintenence/Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Power Fluctuation Message

Description of Issue

The machine displays the Power Fluctuation message when it encounters an under-voltage

condition on the 5V power supply. The machine shuts down and safes all operations.

Possible Causes

There are four main causes for the under-voltage condition, a faulty power supply, a loose

connector, a drawdown on the circuit, and a short somewhere in the machine.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Check that there are no other machines or devices on the circuit that can draw down the

110V to the machine. Also make sure that the machine is not on a power strip or extension

cord which can be a large in line resistive load.

&nbsp%3

gregsolano
06-04-2011, 03:14 PM
under the machine when you remove the metal cover there is a white 4 or 5 prong connector that looks like a standard computer power connector. The female ends can get loose causing this problem. crimp them a little and reconect the wires. This could be causing this problem. The level of difficulty on this is real easy to do.

woodchip
06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
FW, there is my measurement prob..... I was adding 3 in to each end not 3.5in. Now I just need to figure out about the heat ( I am going to relube the flex shaft just to make sure). How long is the break in period for those bearnings? Next thing is where the power flux is comming from? My last machine was set up the same way and this didn't happen, I wonder if its the pwr supply is just bad? Your input please and by the way THANK-YOU to all who help on this forum. GREAT JOB.
Don

fwharris
06-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Don,

Easy mistake to make sometimes... If your flex shaft is not running hot (warm to the touch of a hand) then I would not re lube it.. over lubing especially with the spray moll can get into the top hat and cause the upper bearing to go... Can you touch the chuck with out it burning you?

Not sure what the break in time is on the bearings. Mine did run a bit warmer (high 80s) than (normal low 80s) when I first installed it. If you have the time it would be well worth the trip to get the thermometer so you know what the actuall temps are...

I would check the connectors like Greg suggested just to be sure...

and your welcome.. that's what we are here for..

woodchip
06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
OK I'm now down to two problems, the power flux one which I just removed the bottom and checked for loose wires(all connections are tight). I need another suggestion please.
Next is the heat which is hot enought to burn (blister) your finger. I still haven't had time to run to a hardware store (I live in the boonies). Any suggestions on this? The flex cable is ok.
THANKS AGAIN
Don

jaroot
06-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Our Carvetight got a little hot when we first installed it but I don't recall it getting hot enough to blister fingers. 'course my fingers are so beat up from decades in construction maybe they don't blister too easy any more. <-insert smiley.