PDA

View Full Version : Carriage will not lower

wtlegits
05-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know how to get the stuck carriage to lower down onto the board? When loading the board and you turn the handle it just rachets but will not lower down.

Kenm810
05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Use the hole in the threaded rod on the side oposite the keyboard to free the head (see attachment link below).
http://forum.carvewright.com/attachm...6&d=1272243840 (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33236&d=1272243840)

mtylerfl
05-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know how to get the stuck carriage to lower down onto the board? When loading the board and you turn the handle it just rachets but will not lower down.

Hello,

One possible cause is that the head was raised too high, and will no longer lower. This is called "Vertical Lockup" in your machine's owner's manual. The manual explains and illustrates how to manually release the lock-up. (Ken beat me to it by 5 minutes)

If that wasn't the cause, clean and lube the two lead screws, and the four corner posts. Another cause for the clutch clicking before "pressurizing" the board is a cold shop (unlikely this time of year) or an uneven head. The Maintenance section of the Carvewright main website has a PDF regarding leveling the head again.

Couple other possibilities, but let us know how you make out and get back to us if you are still having problems.

mpw822
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM

There are a few reasons. One would be you have not been lubricating the verticle shafts and they are clogged up with sawdust.

Two would be that one of the gears at the bottom of the unit has slipped or broken and it is now cocked. I ALWAYS lubricate my shafts each week because I used to have the same problem. I alos took the ENTIRE assembly apart and cleaned and lubricatied it as well as made sure it was level. I had a problem and it was binding because it was cocked. Try some wd 40 on the shaftes first because taking it apart to clean is very time consuming. Mark