PDA

View Full Version : Problem with vector cut

robertdpittman
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I am consistently having a problem with one of my vector cutting designs. I submitted it to LHR and got a response, no problem found. I can reproduce it at will. Any thoughts to why I cannot cut 3/4 deep?

This is reproducible in both 1.178 and 1.179

file 1: 5 depth dual ovals.mpc: this file works.
The changes in this file
a) the cut depth is .5"
B) the bit is the 1/8" ballnose
C) board dimension 3" thick

file 2: dual ovals does not work.mpc
The changes in this file
a) the cut depth is .75"
B) the bit is the 1/8" ballnose
C) board dimension 3" thick

robertdpittman
05-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Oops, forgot two additional items:

1. I am using a piece of wood 3" x 10" x 20"
2. The problem scenario is after finding the surface of the wood, it attempts to find the thickness of the work piece. It then stops and displays "Ensure sliding plate set".

Old Salt
05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Little machine will not cut 3" thick board.
I think you would be better off cutting on band saw ( if you have one) just use CW to mark line to cut on 1/8 deep.

robertdpittman
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I should clatify what I am attempting to do. I have a 3" thick board. I want to cut two grooves in it 3/4" deep. If I setup to cut that deep, it does not even start the cut.

Jeff_Birt
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
My guess would be that it is because your cut is so close to the edge. When you upload the project to the card do you get a warning about the cut being too close to the edge? If so what button are you clicking? If you click 'Ignore' (or maybe 'manually jig') it should work.

robertdpittman
05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. No warnings are given. The two mpc files are identical except for the depth of cut is .75 instead of .5

It goes through the normal intialization but stops before the cutting begins.

AskBud
05-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I get the same failure on 1.177.

The key seems to be that the bit can not reach the sliding plate.
AskBud

robertdpittman
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks, Bud. Since the documentation says the CW handles wood up to 5" thick, I would assume this is a bug.

liquidguitars
05-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Do you get the option to hit " contune" keypad 01?

Digitalwoodshop
05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Suggestion.... Change the board thickness to 1 inch rather than 3.... On the one that WON'T cut.... Since your board thickness is 3 inches the machine "MAY" think you are using a sled and there is a standard .75 thick board on top of the sled and cutting through .75 will result in wood flopping around.... Might be a safeguard since you are not using cut path and tabs....

DID YOU get the messages using a thick board, Project or Sled?

AL

robertdpittman
05-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and questions. Today I set the board to various thinknesses, 2", 1", .75" and got the same result. It says it is checking for board thickness. The z-truck goes up and down on the side closest to the keypad. It then moves to the opposite side, goes up and down once and gives and error "Ensure sliding plate set" and asks to abort or retry. I retry and same reults. I even retried 5 times with no luck.

If I set the cut depth to less than .75" and it works fine, even with board thickness set to .75, 1", 2", 3", 4", 5".

Seems the common thread is cut depth of .75", no matter how thick the board dimension is set, will cause the error.