PDA

View Full Version : black walnut tree

Rick P
05-26-2011, 11:56 AM
We are taking down a black walnut tree in our backyard. Any suggestions on how to cut it up and sell some of the pieces? The trunk at the base is over 24 inches in diameter.
Rick
pihl@usfamily.net

Deolman
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
It's really not worth trying to sell it. I can give you my address, you can ship it to me and I will dispose of it properly for you. ;)

TerryT
05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Around my area people that have valuable trees they want down make a deal with a tree removal service or sell the live tree to someone willing to take it down. I have seen ads on Craigs list where people were selling their trees but the purchaser had to drop it and clean up also.

ktjwilliams
05-26-2011, 11:40 PM
First thing U MUST do is paint the ends with latex !!! If U don't the wood will check, make sure U get a good couple coats on there... There are a lot of folks around with portable mills that will cut the wood for ya,, naturally for a fee, usually very reasonable.. Air dry it for a yr or so and U have a nice stash...

SteveEJ
05-27-2011, 07:36 AM
Like KTJ said, seal the ends with a NON oil based sealer. Latex is good, hot wax is used by some. I would seal anywhere that could allow rot or insects to get in. Good walnut is hard to find so I would have a mill cut it up and use it for projects around the house. "Remember that big walnut tree? I made this from it too!".

Back yard grown, American made!