PDA

View Full Version : If you have ever wondered about military copyrights...

Jeff_Birt
05-26-2011, 06:15 AM
If you have ever wondered about military copyrights, well here is one good reason they exist:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/25/mickey-mouse-surrenders-navy-seals-trademark-battle/

Makes you wonder about some of these big-wig coorporate types...

JDPratt
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
What amazes me is that Disney even tried to trademark something from the Armed Services. Did they really think there wouldn't be a fight?

lawrence
05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
yup- funny stuff.

Made me think though- how do folks sell military stuff here (patterns, cds, etc) on the forum?

Lawrence

chebytrk
05-26-2011, 09:01 AM
I think it's great that Disney got slammed..... "Tit for Tat" since they're always after people with copyright infringements.

SteveEJ
05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
The Military monitors the usage of it's symbols, etc. for non-honorable use, etc. Disney obviously wanted to gain off the hard work of one branch of the military's members, and to do it for great monetary gain. I agree with the Navy going after them! Wouldn't it be great if the Navy declared Disney properties 'Off Limits' if disney used it anyway! What goes around comes around! Go U.S. Military! You have my support.

8 Year USAF Vet..

JDPratt
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
For the most part, the big difference is that the Military (hence the U.S. Government) only monitors the use of symbols, names, etc. for use that is disparaging to the United States and the Armed services. Disney monitors everything because they don't want there to be any chance that someone else would make a buck. There are a few items or designs the military uses that have caveats. Some items were designed by private artists and then it usually means that the design can be used but not changed or altered in any way.

Digitalwoodshop
05-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Darn.... I was looking forward to Seal Team 6 "The Ride", "The Movie", "The After School Special", "The Bobble head" "The Snow Globe", "The Hat", "The Running Shoe", and the best for last..... "The T-Shirt" with the little mouse looking character with his arm raised and a single finger raised even higher..... LOL.... Many of us Military remember the Artwork that made it to T-Shirts, Lighters, and Tattoos with the little Mouse with the extended finger and the Eagle or Hawk looming down to Eat IT....

What was Disney Thinking..... The Military should impose a 1 year of OFF LIMITS to all Disney Property as PUNISHMENT since they thought they had the right to TAKE it.... FOR FINANCIAL GAIN....

AL
USN Retired.....

gashawk
05-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Just a rat going for the cheese, kinda reminds me of Microsoft start up.

Jeff_Birt
05-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Don't get me wrong I have no problems with a person or company profiting from their own hard work, as Walter E. Williams says, 'Money is a symbol that you served your fellow man'. What gets me is that a copyright protects something that you own/created, it is not a way to go out and 'steal' something that you think you can make money on. This is close to the same sort of tactics that patent trolls use.