PDA

View Full Version : Porthole Frame - Project of the Month JUNE 2011

mtylerfl
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello,

Ahoy, there! Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for JUNE 2011), called the Porthole Frame or Mirror. This project features a realistic looking porthole that can be used as a photo frame or small decorative wall mirror. The sample shown was simply stained and clear-coated, but this project can provide a wonderful opportunity to experiment with metallic paints, coatings and “faux-aging” techniques, if you wish! (think "Doug Haffner techniques" like we learned about at the CW User Conference!!) This project was designed in the Vectric Aspire software and imported using the CarveWright STL Importer (also shown at the CW User Conference!)

The project requires no special bits and uses just the 2 standard bits that came with your machine. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled Porthole Project are: 10" diameter x 7/8" thick.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Porthole_Frame.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions:
0.75" x 11" x 28"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) 6½" diameter mirror, clear glass, clear plastic sheet, photo, cardboard backing, depending on your configuration choice

4) Wood glue, sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish, glazier’s points to affix mirror/glass/cardboard/photo to back recess

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice.

Here’s what I used on my Porthole Frame made from Select Pine:

• Minwax English Chestnut #233
• 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray
• 2 coats water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye Ultimate
Polyurethane Satin (brushed)

TerryT
05-25-2011, 05:06 PM
That is really cool Michael!

gregsolano
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Great project and cute couple in the Pic!

rcdages
05-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Great project and cute couple in the Pic!

What can one say, Michael you have surprised us once again.

Outstanding design!!!!!!

LittleRedWoodshop
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Thank you ... this project reminded me of my dad, he really loved everything nautical. I am looking forward to building it, I think it will contain a pic of my dad in his Navy uniform.

Dan-Woodman
06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
How much did you have to pay the couple in the photo to pose for that picture? Just kidding , looks great.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
06-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you ... this project reminded me of my dad, he really loved everything nautical. I am looking forward to building it, I think it will contain a pic of my dad in his Navy uniform.

Hi Jason,

I think that is a GREAT idea as a momento and for honoring your Dad's service. I'm happy that the project will be put to such good use.

mtylerfl
06-02-2011, 03:10 PM
How much did you have to pay the couple in the photo to pose for that picture? Just kidding , looks great.
later Daniel

Actually, that was a photo from a cruise we took last year - so it did cost me a small bundle! <smile>

b.sumner47
06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
This is a real nice project , Michael. I wonder if this trip could be written off as a business exspense. You did make a nice project for us . Thanks, Capt Barry he he !

mtylerfl
06-03-2011, 09:41 AM
This is a real nice project , Michael. I wonder if this trip could be written off as a business exspense. You did make a nice project for us . Thanks, Capt Barry he he !

Hey, that's not a bad idea. <grin>