PDA

View Full Version : Creating a pattern from a vector lines

myshop1044
05-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Can someone guide me to the link that shows how you create a pattern out of vector
lines in order to rotate it 90 deg. to save wood.
When I click on the vector lines( rectangle and arc) it does not allow me to create a pattern.
The icon want lite up.
Any help would be great.

Myshop

mtylerfl
05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Perry,

1) Draw a closed shape (make sure all nodes are connected)
2) Create a Carve Region
3) Go into the Carving List and make the shape a "Group" (even if it is just one item!)
4) Right-click on the "Group" and select "Make Pattern" (or click the Shell icon with the sunburst ..it's the Make Pattern icon)
5) Save the pattern

Now you can use your new pattern like any other (rotate, change depth, size, etc.)

Hope that helps!

AskBud
05-23-2011, 08:15 PM
It would be nice to see the MPC.
Un-closed vectors can not be rotated as you wish (at this time). However, closed vectors may be made into a pattern by simply applying a Carve region to that item. That's what activated the "Pattern" Icon. Once active, you make the pattern(s), and when brought in to the design may be rotated. On the vectors that are not closed, just finish closing it so you may make your pattern, and bring it in to the design where you wish. At least then, you will have a model which you may then re-draw the needed vectors and delete the actual temporary patterns.

You will find a lesson titled "Closed Figure Using Arcs and Lines" in my "Download" link below.
I did not speak of the redraw concept, in the lesson, but I think you get my point.

The other concept for the plain arcs, is to note the Arc radii, change the "Form to a line, rotate as needed, and then re-apply the radii.
AskBud

mtylerfl
05-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Bud...you need to do one more step after the Carve Region creation...that is "Group" it, then select the group and the Make Pattern icon will be available.