PDA

View Full Version : Couple animal carvings

autobodyman
05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
I had a bit of time this afternoon and carved a Giraffe and a lion.
44737 44738
They are both from boxelder burl, the Giraffe looks a bit better than the lion.

I know neither looks real great, took me about an hour and a half (I think, I kept getting interrupted so keeping track of the time got difficult).

But as you can see they were some what difficult for me to carve because
44739 44740
They were really tiny. The Giraffe is 1¼" tall 1" wide and ¼" thick, the lion is ½" tall 5/8" long and ¼" thick. They are both sitting on a quarter.

I had to wear one pair of 3.25x glasses on top of a pair of 3x glasses to even really see what I was doing. Let me tell ya, you can really see how jiggly you are at 6.25 magnification.

I don't think I can really do anything smaller than this, the smallest bit I have is 1/32" and it was almost to big for this ( the lions eyes are just the tip of the bit, had to use the edge of it for the mane). Thought about carving a monkey for the branch on the right tree but my eyes were tired.

The reason I carved these was for an amboyna burl cap piece I found in my shop the other day while cleaning and carved some trees out of. I thought it looked kind of plain.
The burl "trees" are 4¼" tall 6¼" wide and about 7/8" thick. I scanned the "tree" carving and submitted it to the pattern depot. I thought about scanning it with the lion and giraffe but I don't think the lion would work very well as it's so small?

I have a bunch of box elder burl caps laying around, wonder if the lack of contrast would look as good as the amboyna. Would be good if it works out I have a lot of little caps.

What do you think?

Thanks ~Mike

easybuilt
05-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Wow Mike, That is nice detail, great job.

Kenm810
05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote: -- "They were really tiny. The Giraffe is 1¼" tall 1" wide and ¼" thick, the lion is ½" tall 5/8" long and ¼" thick."

Great Carvings, and Good Eye Mike, even with the double Lenses! -- Heck I trip over the Table Saw on my way to the CarveWright Carver.

b.sumner47
05-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Such small carvings,well done. Capt Barry

Icutone2
05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Great carvings, they take a long time?
Thanks for showing!
Lee

rcdages
05-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Mike,

Outstanding workmanship, you do wonderfull work. Always please to see your carvings.

liquidguitars
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Very cool!

Dhaffner
05-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Great carving! Beautiful wood...