PDA

View Full Version : Cut outs on sled

xtremedge
05-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm wondering if I can use the cut path tool on 3/4" boards that are on a 3/4" thick sled. I know that making the project board in designer the actual thickness of thin stock the carvewright will compensate the tabs when the thin stock is put in the machine while on a sled. So basically I'm wondering if I can have tabs on thicker project boards that are on sleds.

fwharris
05-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Yes it will be the same as using thin stock. The machine will do a board thickness check during set up and will prompt to for doing the project thickness or the actuall..

xtremedge
05-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Thats what I thought would happen, but during the setup of my project the machine just said it was too thick to cut through. I am using 3/4" material on a 3/4" sled. I said to just continue in hope that it would touch off the 1/8 cutting bit again and ask for the project or the actual thickness when it begins to cut. Should it have said the prompt for the project thickness or the actual before it starts carving?

unitedcases
05-21-2011, 03:43 PM
What version designer are you using?

xtremedge
05-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm using version 1.179

unitedcases
05-21-2011, 04:24 PM
In the latest version, 1.179 have to go into designer and adjust your total thickness under board settings. I use a 3/4 sled with a 3/4 project on top of that and I have to tell it 1.50 inches.

liquidguitars
05-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Thats what I thought would happen, but during the setup of my project the machine just said it was too thick to cut through. I am using 3/4" material on a 3/4" sled. I said to just continue in hope that it would touch off the 1/8 cutting bit again and ask for the project or the actual thickness when it begins to cut. Should it have said the prompt for the project thickness or the actual before it starts carving?

If you have a CarveTight it should give you a prompt like you said.

In your case I would set Designer to .75" thick...

xtremedge
05-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm using the Rock chuck and in designer I did have the thickness set for .75" thick but I have yet to see that that prompt come up. All I get is "Board too thick to cut through" and an option to either abort or continue when I use a sled.

Capt Bruce
05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Same as Extremedge,
When it gives me the Board message I just click Continue. I should note that by now my trusty 11 1/4" wide sled has carve marks from most every project shape I've every done using the outline cut-through feature. No harm as they are just about 1/16" deep into the surface of the sled and it's really developing an interesting pattern over time.