PDA

View Full Version : Automatic blast gate

DickB
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
My CarveWight and dust collector are in a separate room from my shop. In the shop I use a Rockler Dust Right expandable hose to connect to the tool in use. When not in use, it is stored in a handle docking port and closed off. At the dust collector I have a y, with one port to the shop and one to the CarveWright, and a blast gate on the CarveWright. It seems that blast gate is always in the wrong position. When I want to use a shop tool, the gate is open, and I have to go into the other room (actually down stairs) to close it. Then, when I start a project on the CarveWright, half the time I forget to open the gate. The machine and dust collector merrily run and everything sounds normal, but I end up with a machine full of sawdust.

I wanted an automatic blast gate. I did a search and found some, but they were too expensive, difficult to purchase, or part of a "system" that I didn't need. So I looked for ways to make my own.

A linear actuator would be perfect, but one with a 3" throw, which is needed to operate the gate, is expensive - around $75. An automotive power door lock actuator is a cheap linear actuator which can be had for $5. But the throw is only 3/4". However, they do have a lot of torque, so I figured I'd try one, using a lever to gain the throw necessary. Well, the darn thing worked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cuZ86Z_tMA

I built an electronic control to work with my shop's remote turn on, so the blast gate is closed only when I activate the dust collector from the shop. When the CarveWright activates the dust collector via an i-socket, the gate is always open.

Maybe this could solve a problem in your shop.

Dhaffner
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
You know..that's just the kind of product that someone needs to figure out how to make commercially for a reasonable price! I can think of many many uses for something like this!

jaustin
05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
where did you get the actuator at?
I have the same blast gates, I ended up cutting the end of it off.
Sawdust would get into the slide path and would keep it from sealing all the way up. So i cut the ends off and now the slide pushes the dust all the way out and seals up great.

DickB
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I got mine at allelectronics.com but you can get them lots of places - search Amazon for door lock actuator.

gregsolano
05-20-2011, 08:46 AM
What a great idea! Used auto door lock actuators can be had at your local junk yard or (automotive recyclers as they are not called) for real cheap.

myshop1044
05-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Doug check out Rockler, 3 blast gates with wireing and controller for $85.00.

DickB
05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
The Rockler system is not the same thing. With the Roclker system, you manually open a blast gate, and the dust collector is turned on by that action. In my system, when I turn on the dust collector via a wireless remote, the blast gate on my CarveWright is automatically closed.

With an i-socket on the CarveWright, the dust collector is turned on automatically, and turned off when a project is done or waiting for a bit change. With the Rockler system, it would continue running until you manually close the blast gate.