PDA

View Full Version : Importing Black & White (Silhouette) Images

cseidler
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Hello....and help! When importing 'Black & White (silhouette) Images', we get a recessed region around the image (see attached). When setting the depth to 0.00", the image becomes uncarveable. Please advise. Thanks a bunch in advance.

bjbethke
05-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Hello....and help! When importing 'Black & White (silhouette) Images', we get a recessed region around the image (see attached). When setting the depth to 0.00", the image becomes uncarveable. Please advise. Thanks a bunch in advance.

You need to remove the background on the image, and save the file as a PNG format or the background will be added again.

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
With the Pattern Editor it is a simple matter of using the 'Raise/Lower' filter to lower the pattern enough to get rid of the background. With a standard image editor you have a couple of options: if the background is a solid color you can select it as the transparent layer when saving as a PNG, otherwise you have to try and erase the whole background.

gregsolano
05-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I use paint.net a free program. Open the picture in the program, use the magic wand located under tools. go to the background area and select the background. You may need to adjust the tolorance located on the tool bar to make sure you are selecting only the area you want. Hit the delete key. The area becomes checkerboarded and is now deleted. Use Gaussian blur located under effects and then blurs. set the blur to around 2 then apply. this will actually give you cleaner lines when you import into designer. Save the picture making sure it is saved as a png file (this is the default for the program). Then import it into designer. I don't have project editor yet so I do all my adjustments in paint.net but if you have it you can do some refinements there. Good luck!

Kenm810
05-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Here's a sample -- using "paint.net" like mentioned it the other posts.