PDA

View Full Version : Tune up worth every penny....

Dhaffner
05-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Like many folks, the economy has hurt (eliminated?) much of my discretionary income. But I couldn't let the opportunity to get some new parts go by at the recent conference. No shipping costs is a good incentive.
I realized while listening to Chris Rawls do a great job of showing the inside of the machine, that it was time to replace some bearings and a Y-truck motor. His demonstration proved it would be an easy job.
I also brought home one of Jeff Birt's awesome upgrades that lights up the display-- I hugged my wife and daughter when I got back, and headed for the shop....
In less than a couple hours I had not only put in the new parts, but had taken much of the machine apart and gave it a good cleaning.
Let me tell you- what a difference! It's running like new. It's cutting some Azek material right now and eating it like it's butter.
And the back-lit display rocks. I actually have my machine in a mildly dark part of the shop and had no idea how useful it would be to have that light. I wish I had put one in months ago...installation was super easy (remember this is coming from a guy who is lazy).
The machine is so happy, I thought I'd post a picture.

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/48416/2351670060101109960S600x600Q85.jpg

CarverJerry
05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
How much did the display cost you? I find myself all the time using a drop light just to see my display as I use an old fruit cellar for noise control and there are no lights in there. Thanks

CJ

lynnfrwd
05-17-2011, 05:44 PM
How did you get the machine to be orange?! I like it! Maybe we can come out with designer colors. Red, blue, neon green & maybe paisley! What do you think?

gregsolano
05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Connie don't make a pink CW, Please, Please!

lynnfrwd
05-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Do you have any idea how many ladies own a CW?!?!?!?

lynnfrwd
05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
We can donate a portion for Breast Cancer Awareness!

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
How much did the display cost you?

Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/Backlit_LCD_Kit-details.aspx , I'm out of stock at the moment but I should have some more made up by next week.

I find
myself all the time using a drop light just to see my display

That is exactly why I built the backlit display kit. My garage is a little dark and the backlight made it sooo much easier to read the display.

jaroot
05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't have too much problem with the LCD panel but I'd sure like to rig up some kind of lighting on the inside of the machine.

Deolman
05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
How do we poor folk who couldn't afford to go find out what you did on your tune-up?

Dhaffner
05-17-2011, 07:36 PM
A couple things:
Connie- Heck I figured if I ever had to send my machine in- my copper sides would make it stand out. If you offer colors, mine'll just look like everybody elses..shucks. While I had it apart adding new upper bearings and a new Y-truck motor, I took the sides apart, scuff sanded them and painted them with a nice copper color. With additional masking, I could do some pretty neat flames on it!
My overhaul was really only aimed at things I've worn on mine...I had lots of hours on those bearings and the motor I replaced was starting to sound like a geiger counter at the nuclear plant in Japan.
As for the backlit display- I hoped Jeff would chime in...thanks, Jeff!

gregsolano
05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I will make a donation if you don't make a pink one, Doug I thought it was just bad lighting, Copper wow! Now we will have to have a thread for people to show off the custom paint jobs.

Jeff_Birt
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
jaroot - r.e. External lighting. As I recall a few years ago folks were adding small clip on lights to the outside of the machine. I even seem to remember seeing a few of those little battery powered stick on lights used under the cover.

jaroot
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi Jeff

What I'd like to do is put a LED strip inside of the cover and some way power it via the machine so that it just comes on when the machine is powered on. I'll probably figure it out it just hasn't been a priority right now.

Jim

PS As for exteral lighting my machine is setting in a place where the garage lights are lighting up the keyboard side nicely but the garage door, that hugges the ceiling, is over the other side and no way to install ceiling lights. But all I really need is to be able to see the chuck and allen nut.

jaroot - r.e. External lighting. As I recall a few years ago folks were adding small clip on lights to the outside of the machine. I even seem to remember seeing a few of those little battery powered stick on lights used under the cover.

gregsolano
05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
The power supply puts out 5v dc for the computer components and 24v dc for the motors. You will have no trouble finding 5v LED's.